Sometimes when seconds count, they really are only seconds away

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Sometimes when seconds count, they really are only seconds away

Post by treadlightly »

But that doesn't mean they can read minds, or have criminal intent radar.

This evening I went to one of the local zoos - a Wal Mart, in this case - for some everyday low prices. There was a police car, all lights dark, sitting at the edge of the parking lot. Odd.

As I crossed the parking lot I heard shouting, then bellowing, then a sound like Alex Jones being told his wife had campaigned for Hillary.

One of the smart shoppers, the young man, was outside his car in full cage-match rage, thundering things his mother didn't teach him at his betrothed, who was still in the car.

So, I thought, this little perturbation of the general peace explains the cop.

But then the argument got louder. I glanced back at the police car. By the time I got my eyes back on the marital negotiations, she was coming out of the car at him. There was pushing, there were fists, there was everything but popcorn and a tearful reconciliation on a slow motion beach.

I was already on the phone to 911, but I thought I'd had enough of long distance citizenship. I turned around and headed back to the police car.

Whereupon 911 told me not to get out of my vehicle. So I sat. The policeman sat, looking at me, his focus nowhere near the powwow on the other side of the parking lot. Finally, I told 911 I needed to 'splain myself to the nice officer, who at that point got the radio call and made for the brawl, leaving me behind.

By that time, the combatants were either bottled up in precarious détente or were weaving down some highway in rolling scissors like Migs and Tomcats looking for a kill. Or maybe they kissed and made up, who knows.

On the way home, my products and items carefully bagged up on the back floorboard, it occurred to me how quickly things can get ugly. I'm thankful there was nothing but decibels and pushing, but, of course, worried somebody may have a very bad evening tonight.

Regarding the community focus here, the officers stopped and talked to me, first about what I had observed, and then about life in general. They didn't ask, I didn't tell. I'm certain it would have made no difference if they had asked for my ID. I would have handed over both CHL and DL and the friendly conversation wouldn't have skipped a beat.

And that, my friends, contretemps in the parking lot notwithstanding, is part of a good life.

Be safe.

Tex1961

Re: Sometimes when seconds count, they really are only seconds away

Post by Tex1961 »

Dang, you should maybe look into a career as a novelist. Great job on your write up there.

twomillenium

Re: Sometimes when seconds count, they really are only seconds away

Post by twomillenium »

You did good, but remember 911 has no authority over you, do what your gut tells you.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”