Create a link that points to another thread

Photo testing, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
quidni
Posts in topic: 1

Create a link that points to another thread

Post by quidni »

You're writing an answer to someone's question, & want to point them to a previous thread that explained the issue - for example, "How to post pics." But standard copy & paste links on the forum, no matter which area or thread, point to the main page instead of the specific thread.

Here's the work-around I use:
(I'm using Mozilla/Firefox but it should work in other browsers as well - the exact wording of the mouse menus may be a bit different)

Go to the page that shows the listing of threads in the forum. In this case, it would be the Test Area. Find the desired thread, i.e. How to post pics, and right-click on it.

In the pop-up mouse menu, select "Copy Link Location" and return to the message you're typing. Paste the copied link into your text and add your URL text. The result will look like this (but without the added space):
[url =http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... c.php?t=19]How to post pics[/url]

Preview the post & check the link to make sure it works, then submit.

Hope this helps!
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

If you want to direct attention to a specific post instead of just a thread, there is an easier way. At the top of every post, there is a small rectangular icon that represents a page with a corner turned down. It's just to the left of the line that says "Posted: " and shows the date and time of that post.

You've probably noticed these, because they're yellow on new posts, but white on posts you've already seen.

Anyway, that little icon is a clickable link that will take a reader directly to that post. Right click on it, and choose "Copy link location", "Copy shortcut", or whatever you browser calls it.

Then you can just past that URL right into your message.

Kevin

Return to “Test Area”