New Rules

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
lrb111
Posts in topic: 6

New Rules

Post by lrb111 »

I got my notification letter to go to Austin for the instructor's training.
First the class is listed as 4 days. 7 th thru the 10th

The gun rules are different than the old rules for a CHL. SA are to be no less than 9mm, and revolvers are to be no less than 38.

I thought it odd that my notification was on 7/7 and my wife's letter has not arrived. Maybe they are replying to the applicants in the order recieved. Since, her's was sent in some time after mine.
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

cxm
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Rules

Post by cxm »

Nothing new about the calibre requirements... been that way a long time... would you believe they would not let me use my 8 3/8" M16 S&W .32 revolver :roll:

As to the length, maybe they arer going to 10 hour days... OTOH, we had that anyway when I took the initial course....for five days....

Oh well...

V/r

Chuck

lrb111 wrote:I got my notification letter to go to Austin for the instructor's training.
First the class is listed as 4 days. 7 th thru the 10th

The gun rules are different than the old rules for a CHL. SA are to be no less than 9mm, and revolvers are to be no less than 38.

I thought it odd that my notification was on 7/7 and my wife's letter has not arrived. Maybe they are replying to the applicants in the order recieved. Since, her's was sent in some time after mine.
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

Topic author
lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

I as wondering if that was the case on calibers. and i was looking for a .32 like that :lol:

Since the paperwork says 4 days, I'm not sure if that's inclusive of the proficiency tests or not. I'm still wondering if they are on the 5th day.
Ø resist

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

My Daughter, Tami, will be in that class but hasn't recieved her letter yet either.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Topic author
lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

ElGato wrote:My Daughter, Tami, will be in that class but hasn't recieved her letter yet either.
Thank You. My wife emailed Austin, and Marion Stahl answered (overnight) that she is good to go to the class.

Do you expect Tami to teach with you?
Ø resist

ElGato
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ElGato »

Tami is going to teach with me, those long days are getting harder to do, it will be nice to get a break or two in the day.
Last edited by ElGato on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

switch
Posts in topic: 3

a 4 day class?

Post by switch »

Are you already teaching pistol classes? Then you only have to take a 28 hour CHL instructor class, you can skip the classes on lesson plans.

There was a mix up in drafting the legislation. They lowered the caliber required for a CHL class to .32 (to allow the new Keltecs?) but forgot to include the instructors. :(

Topic author
lrb111

Re: a 4 day class?

Post by lrb111 »

switch wrote:Are you already teaching pistol classes? Then you only have to take a 28 hour CHL instructor class, you can skip the classes on lesson plans.
No, I'm not curently teaching. I didn't know that part of the class was on lesson plans. So, for me, that is welcome news. :lol:
There was a mix up in drafting the legislation. They lowered the caliber required for a CHL class to .32 (to allow the new Keltecs?) but forgot to include the instructors. :(

There's humor in there somewhere. I saw a Dan Wesson .357 revolver the other day for steel silouette shooting. It has the 10" barrel. I wonder how shooting that, for proficiency, with some light .38 special loads would go over? ;-)
Ø resist

switch

8" barrell?

Post by switch »

Probably go over well. I used my S&W 500 w/8 3/4" barrel when my wife and I requalified last time.

Star said they had had .454 Casauls on the range before but mine was the first .50 magnum. ;-)

Topic author
lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

Well, we were informed in this year's class that the .32 will be allowed for instructors. Starting with next year's renewals. oh well...
Ø resist

switch

Instroctors can qualify w/.32?

Post by switch »

That's news to me. I understand the legislature was sloppy when they changed the requirements for students and did not include instructors. Have not looked at the law, so I am not sure.

Topic author
lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

The way it was brought up and presented to us, gave the impression that it was a done deal. It sounded like an in house decision by the powers at DPS.

I was going to ask about the .380 for the S-A, but forgot, as the topic of discussion drifted farther.

edit: Duh, 32 for both possibly.
Ø resist

Return to “Instructors' Corner”