A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Tex1961
Posts in topic: 15

First Responder Instructor Certification Training Course

Post by Tex1961 »

Hey,
Did any other instructors get an email from RSD in regards to taking this course in Forence.. If so do you know what it's about.. The email really isn't clear. My first reaction was this was medical, but there is the elements for the firearm proficiency demonstration...So I don't really know what this is.

Mike

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Responder Instructor Certification Training Course

Post by jmorris »

HB 1069  Effective September 1, 2021                                 

Caption: Relating to the carrying of a handgun by certain first responders.

Requires the department establish minimum standards for a training course for first responders who hold an LTC.  The course must be administered by a qualified LTC handgun instructor and must include not more than 40 hours of classroom instruction in self-defense, de-escalation techniques, tactical thinking and shooting, among other items.  Requires an annual continuing education course of not more than 10 hours. A qualified handgun instructor may not offer the training course before January 1, 2022
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

jmorris wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:55 pm HB 1069  Effective September 1, 2021                                 

Caption: Relating to the carrying of a handgun by certain first responders.

Requires the department establish minimum standards for a training course for first responders who hold an LTC.  The course must be administered by a qualified LTC handgun instructor and must include not more than 40 hours of classroom instruction in self-defense, de-escalation techniques, tactical thinking and shooting, among other items.  Requires an annual continuing education course of not more than 10 hours. A qualified handgun instructor may not offer the training course before January 1, 2022
Interesting.... I wonder if it's worth taking it. There is no fee. Just travel and hotel for a few days...

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

TRAINING

HB No. 1069 required the Texas Department of Public Safety of Texas to create a certification class (no greater than 40 hours) by a qualified handgun instructor by January 1, 2022.

The training course must be administered by a qualified handgun instructor and provide classroom training in:

Self-defense
De-escalation techniques
Methods to conceal and secure a handgun
Consequences of improper use of a handgun
Field training requiring physical demonstrations of proficiency must include:

Instinctive or reactive shooting
Tactical shooting

Shooting while moving

Not sure if my back will allow that.

howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by howdy »

So the course for us to be Instructors is 3 days of which there is probably 2 days of instruction, then we are to teach someone who is a Firefighter, EMT, Paramedic WITH a LTC, a course that could take 40 hours. How much can you charge someone and then dedicate an entire week to teach the course. How many students can afford the course then dedicate 40 hours to take it. How many Fire Departments will let their members carry? Am I missing something here? Read this. It explains the law https://www.ems1.com/guns/articles/what ... l0gRE/.The term "First responders" DOES NOT include Volunteers EMS, Fire Fighters and Police. Also each First Responder that carry's must have a $1 million liability policy that he/she has to pay for. Also a department is not required to allow the responder to carry even if trained. They must also go through a 10 hour refresher course every year.
Last edited by howdy on Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

howdy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:34 pm So the course for us to be Instructors is 3 days of which there is probably 2 days of instruction, then we are to teach someone who is a Firefighter, EMT, Paramedic WITH a LTC, a course that could take 40 hours. How much can you charge someone and then dedicate an entire week to teach the course. How many students can afford the course then dedicate 40 hours to take it. How many Fire Departments will let their members carry? Am I missing something here?
Yeah, trying to figure that one out myself. I did call RSD to get more information, I was told they just found out today about the class as well. Said to go to the RSD website, I said there wasn’t anything on it and she said it should be updated soon.

hitwsr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hitwsr »

Got the email yesterday. Went to RSD and did not find anything. Looks like someone already called and no luck. I'm curious about the curriculum, class outline, suggested fees, etc. I sent in the 71 form and asked for info. I'll decide when I see it. Can't afford to cut out 3 days for a maybe, but, once I get the info, if it makes sense, I'll attend.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 8

Post by troglodyte »

What we were told, I believe at our one hour (grrr) instructors renewal class, is the class was probably going to be patterned, somewhat, after the school safety course. I'm sure it will build off of some of the same basics and supplement specifics for situations common for first responders

The RDS and DPS are not likely to give any advice on pricing. That is up to each instructor.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Yay. A new slide show to put together. :banghead:

I have one for LTC, one for Constitutional Carry, one for NRA basic pistol. My hard drive is getting full :lol:

I’ll probably attend, I’m just trying to decide or figure out if it’s worth the hassle. I can’t imagine lots of opportunities to do a class. Sure wish RSD would give us better information.
Last edited by Tex1961 on Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Here is a good link to HB 1069 for those who want more information.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... navpanes=0

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by AF-Odin »

Yep, got the email yesterday. Sent the completed 71 back last night. I only live about 35-40 minutes from Florence and am retired so (with current gas prices) will cost me about 30-40 bucks for 3 round trips to Florence in my truck and am retired so have the time.

What intrigues me is their statement about required "specialized" equipment for the class that we must provide as well as the physical requirement. I can still run and gun in a 3-gun match, but not nearly as fast as I used to and wind up taking the 600mg Motrin afterward, but I can do it.

Some of the matches I did on military installations required a minimum Level-II vest and a retention holster. Wonder what DPS will require.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

AF-Odin wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:46 pm required "specialized" equipment
If I was to guess, and it is only a guess, the specialized equipment will be extra magazines, mag holsters, OTB holster, kneepads, maybe electronic muffs, flashlight, or the like. You know, the normal load out for a lot of us. "Specialized" because it is not needed for the LTC class. But, again, I'm just guessing.

Hopefully one of us will get our registration back soon and share the details.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

Appreciate the discussion on this. :cheers2: I was curious and confused by the email myself.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I'm curious as to how many active instructors they sent this to. Assuming somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 to 3000 active across the state, there are only what 150 chairs in the classroom... Usually when your get your initial LTC instructor email you get a date about 6 months out and you are informed that you must act quick as the first X who respond with affirmative will get that class... This time they gave a date..

Checked RSD website this morning and still no update...

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Tex1961 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:31 am I'm curious as to how many active instructors they sent this to. Assuming somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 to 3000 active across the state, there are only what 150 chairs in the classroom... Usually when your get your initial LTC instructor email you get a date about 6 months out and you are informed that you must act quick as the first X who respond with affirmative will get that class... This time they gave a date..

Checked RSD website this morning and still no update...
I’m presuming they will have multiple classes and haven’t released all the dates. They may also be seeing what the interest is before they schedule a bunch of classes.

If there is much in the way of “tactical” training, I can’t see there being more than about 20 max to a class. It’s one thing to stand on a static line with 60 others and wait for the target to turn. It’s a totally different thing to be running drills. Again, I just guessing at all of this. Hopefully we’ll get clarification soon.
Talon Firearms Training

Return to “Instructors' Corner”