Action Type NSA

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
txtaxman
Posts in topic: 2

Action Type NSA

Post by txtaxman »

We know that HB 3142 became effective on 6/14/2013. Until I attended the CHL Instructor Recertification Class on 11/6/2013, I was under the impression that there is no longer a distinction. However Sherrie and Sgt Bamsch made the point that HB 3142 only applies to New Licenses and Renewals after 6/13/2013, and reminded us that CHL Instructors should not interpret the law.

The new Form CHL-70 no longer lists the option to modify the action type. What if a person has a CHL with the NSA Action Type and now wants to carry a SA Action Type?

I have submitted the question to RSD, but have not gotten an answer so far.

Has any one received a ruling on this yet? Perhaps someone in the next CHL Instructor Recertification Class can ask for clarification.
Lamar County

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Action Type NSA

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

During the Instructor renewal class in Houston, we were also told that HB3142 applies only to applications submitted after 9/1/13. While this is technically true, the Bill also repealed all references to handgun categories as they relate to suspending a CHL (Gov't. Code §411.187(a)(3)) and the criminal offense of violating Tex. Penal Code §46.02 (see TPC §46.15(b)(6)).

Therefore, as of Sept. 1, 2013, DPS has no authority to suspend anyone carrying a semi-auto with an NSA license, nor is there any criminal offense for doing so.

Chas.

HB3142

MoJo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MoJo »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Therefore, as of Sept. 1, 2013, DPS has no authority to suspect anyone carrying a semi-auto with an NSA license, nor is there any criminal offense for doing so.

Chas.

HB3142
Uh, Charles, don't you mean "suspend" you don't need no stinkin' authority to "suspect" :biggrinjester: ;-)
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

MoJo wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Therefore, as of Sept. 1, 2013, DPS has no authority to suspect anyone carrying a semi-auto with an NSA license, nor is there any criminal offense for doing so.

Chas.

HB3142
Uh, Charles, don't you mean "suspend" you don't need no stinkin' authority to "suspect" :biggrinjester: ;-)
Dictation software is great, until it's not.

Thanks,
Chas.

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 4

Post by wgoforth »

I find this annoying as I specifically asked the DPS in August if those who have license marked NSA can now carry SA, and was told yes. Since then, I have had numerous individuals carrying revolvers to call and ask me if this were the case, and I told them the DPS said "yes"...plus I have been in a few radio and newspaper interviews about the new gun laws and stated one could. After seeing this thread, I called an attorney at [Pre-paid legal service] who advised the same as Mr Cotton... that there would be no law they would violate in so doing, as all mentioning of categories has been removed. When I told the attorney the DPS is telling renewal instructors otherwise, he was shocked and said he was going to give them a call and see what was up with that. I suppose I should not be surprised since they told me repeatedly there would no longer be the 12 mo grace period (which I also said on radio and newspaper) only to be changed to the grace period remaining.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

This really is a minor issue in terms of numbers. Out of 750,000+ CHLs in Texas, approximately 3,000 hold NSA licenses. This information was given to us during the Houston instructor renewal class.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This really is a minor issue in terms of numbers. Out of 750,000+ CHLs in Texas, approximately hold NSA licenses. This information was given to us during the Houston instructor renewal class.

Chas.

How many?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

G0C

Post by G0C »

Looks like none. :lol:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

G0C wrote:Looks like none. :lol:
I think Charles is compiling Obamacare enrollment statistics, too! :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

mojo84 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This really is a minor issue in terms of numbers. Out of 750,000+ CHLs in Texas, approximately hold NSA licenses. This information was given to us during the Houston instructor renewal class.

Chas.

How many?
3,000. I'm going to have to go back to typing. At least the typos would be from my fingers.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Didn't think there would be many. Sure enough, I was right.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This really is a minor issue in terms of numbers. Out of 750,000+ CHLs in Texas, approximately 3,000 hold NSA licenses. This information was given to us during the Houston instructor renewal class.

Chas.
I don't doubt it, however in my area, people seem to love revolvers for whatever reason. I get numerous of them every class.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6 Point Star

Post by 6 Point Star »

But if you happen to be one of them does it really mater how small the percentage is. I have had questions and apparently have been telling them wrong also.

Jerry

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

6 Point Star wrote:But if you happen to be one of them does it really mater how small the percentage is. I have had questions and apparently have been telling them wrong also.

Jerry
Well, if I understand correctly in todays renewal class, they indicated they were not saying we were wrong or that we cannot, but that the new law is vague enough that we could get in trouble by some unknowledgeable LEO's if they wanted to make an issue of it.
NRA Life Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

6 Point Star wrote:But if you happen to be one of them does it really mater how small the percentage is.
If you happen to be one of them, you made the choice not to qualify for the SA license. If today you still fall under the same restrictions as when you made your choice, I don't see much cause for complaint.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”