Range Rental - North Fort Worth ??

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Sangiovese
Posts in topic: 2

Range Rental - North Fort Worth ??

Post by Sangiovese »

Does anyone know of a small private range in the North Fort Worth/Keller/Roanoke area that will rent the facility to an outside instructor for chl qualifications (and possibly other classes)?

I'm ok with either flat rate or per shooter range fees (although per shooter would be preferred).

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction. I seem to have relationships with ranges all over the DFW area except for right where I live. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Range Rental - North Fort Worth ??

Post by extremist »

Quail Creek at I35 and 1171 used to allow me to bring students to shoot their proficiency tests. I would contact them to see if they would allow you.

I don't think they rent classroom facilities since they do teach there also.

Are you looking for classroom AND range?

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Topic author
Sangiovese

Post by Sangiovese »

Thanks for the tip. I only need range facilities, so lack of a classroom isn't an issue.

I may approach quail creek (the location is perfect) for CHL qualification, but since the majority of what I teach isn't CHL (and involves holster work and movement), I would like to find a place where I could do both types of classes.
NRA Endowment Member. Texas LTC Instructor. NRA certified Pistol & Home Firearm Safety Instructor - Range Safety Officer

Any comments about legal matters are general in nature and are not legal advice. Nothing posted on this forum is intended to establish an attorney-client relationship.

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

Yeah, good luck with that one. I have been trying to find a range local to use as well. I am in NE Fort Worth - Keller/Watauga area. Quail Creek is the closest range who will allow outside CHL instructors to come in and qualify students. Shoot Smart will run you off with a pitchfork. Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville is where I taught the majority of my classes/qualification. But you have to qualify your students before the range opens, usually between 8am and 9am. I was finding that if I didn't teach the class there, I was meeting my students there without being able to fully go over all the safety aspects of shooting at a range. And when you have students that have never fired a pistol before (yes, every class I have taught has had a student or 2 like this), my nerves always seemed to be on edge. So I started teaching classes, and shooting the qualification at Quail Creek. But at Quail Creek, you are at the mercy of the weather.

My husband has talked with a couple of instructors over the last year who are in the same boat. We had, at one time, thought about trying to get a group of instructors and open a shooting club with a few lanes. And ANY instructor would be able to become a member and use the range to qualify their students. But no one seems to want to pony up funds. So we continue to look for our dream space to open an indoor range and build capital for said dream.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:Shoot Smart will run you off with a pitchfork.
So true! I thought it was just me!
So we continue to look for our dream space to open an indoor range and build capital for said dream.
Same here - or even money for land for an outdoor range that WE control. We also tried to find partners, but no luck. Perhaps it is time to look again.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

BTW, to the OP - Elm Fork (in Las Colinas) will let you rent an entire bay and control it yourself, so you might be able to work with them.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

You try the rangs off 35w and 28th street?

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 5

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

cheezit wrote:You try the rangs off 35w and 28th street?
That is The Shooter's Club. Their range is only 10 yards, so it doesn't meet the standard to be able to shoot the last round of the qualification. Many moons ago, you could use a different/modified target if space was an issue, but this is no longer the case.

Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

"Many moons ago, you could use a different/modified target if space was an issue, but this is no longer the case."

Never heard of that one, not from DPS anyway. But some of the renewal classes I've attended have been pretty rowdy and I could have missed it.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

switch
Posts in topic: 8

Post by switch »

I'm surprised to hear that about Shoot Smart. I have a friend they allow to qualify his students.

As to using 'modified' targets - no telling what some of the range officers have OK'd informally in the past. LOL

switch

Post by switch »

I talked w/my buddy. He did not have any trouble getting in w/Shoot Smart. Might want to talk to them again.

I don't understand why ranges will not let outside instructors come in. We are going to bring them new customers. If the customer likes the range, they are likely to come back.

Elk Castle will not let me qualify my students but said their instructors would for $15 (which is a steal - range fees are normally $17 - 20 at other ranges).

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:
cheezit wrote:You try the rangs off 35w and 28th street?
That is The Shooter's Club. Their range is only 10 yards, so it doesn't meet the standard to be able to shoot the last round of the qualification. Many moons ago, you could use a different/modified target if space was an issue, but this is no longer the case.

I did my class and qualifying there. The guy doing the class was a leo that I had run accross prior. He/they got some form of acception

switch

Post by switch »

The range told me they had an exception but I decided to take my students to a different range.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

switch wrote:The range told me they had an exception but I decided to take my students to a different range.
Good decision. :cheers2:

I know a range that thought it was OK to use the "shortened" B-27E (economy?) targets. Don't know what was "excepted" in the past, but they were VERY clear in the instructor's renewal class that ONLY the full size B-27 target was acceptable.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

paperchunker

Post by paperchunker »

switch wrote:I talked w/my buddy. He did not have any trouble getting in w/Shoot Smart. Might want to talk to them again.
I WAS a Pioneer member when they first opened. When I asked about qualifying students I was told NO in no uncertain terms and very rudely. I have not been back for any reason and will never go back, nor to their new location. :mad5
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”