What Revolver did you shoot in your CHL Instructor's Class

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 3

What Revolver did you shoot in your CHL Instructor's Class

Post by BCGlocker »

I have not shot a revolver in 15 years. I will have to either buy one or borrow one from a friend. Just curious which revolver did you use for the class?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What Revolver did you shoot in your CHL Instructor's Cla

Post by Keith B »

I used a Ruger Security Six that I bought in 1978 that has been tweaked and tuned with a really smooth trigger pull. It is one of my favorites for target shooting.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I've used a Smith & Wesson Model. 27 3 1/2", Model 586, and a Model 19 4".

Chas.

wally775

Post by wally775 »

Model 19 4". :tiphat:

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Ruger GP100
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

I used a S&W Model 19 4".

I am sure someone you know has a revolver you could borrow. Be sure to put a box or so down range before the proficiency demo. Also, learn how it works and basic malfunctions. Had a guy next to me shooting a borrowed S&W and it was the FIRST time he had fired the gun. He was not aware that some S&W revolvers have a tendency for the extractor rod to sometimes back out and prevent opening the cylinder. Embarassing to have to get the DPS armorer to open the cylinder for you to reload. Don't be that guy, slowed down the whole relay.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Thank you everyone for your great inputs.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

howdy

Post by howdy »

I did not own a revolver when I took the Instructor class in 2001. I borrowed my Brothers S&W. Two years later I was going to requal and I still did not own a revovver so I decided to buy one. I didn't want to spent a lot of money on a gun that I shoot once every two years so I went with this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/80038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The price was good and it is a tack driver. I figure I have about 700 rounds through it and it is flawless.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

I am actually considering purchasing a Ruger LCR 357 Magnum Revolver. From all the research I done, it seems to be a very accurate and EDC revolver. Besides, I can use it as a BUG and may be able to lend the gun to a future newbie student to shoot. Your thoughts?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

howdy

Post by howdy »

You have to score 225 points as an Instructor. You might shoot a "bug" better than me but I sure would not want to use one for my Instructor requal. Make it easier on yourself. Get a "Wyatt Earp" type revolver with a 10" barrel. :mrgreen:
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

While Howdy's idea is, IMHO a bit overboard, he does make a good point. A 2" barrel takes a bit more attention in aiming than does a 4" or 6" barrel, due to the shortened sight radius. While, to some folks, it's not that big of a deal, I think that if you do not regularly shoot a revolver (and if you're going to be a GOOD CHL Instructor, I think you should regularly shoot both types of handguns to be able to empathize with and be very familiar with the types of guns your students will most likely use), you do yourself a dis-service by handicapping yourself in any way.

Knowing that I was going to have to be more familiar with revolvers than I was, I found a good deal on a new Smith &Wesson 586, a 4" blue-steeled .357 which will, of course, digest .38 Specials all day and all night.

Another thought especially relevant to the CHL Instructor's course: DPS told our class that if we wanted to shoot single-action (i.e. Cocking the hammer then pulling the trigger to fire the gun -generally less movement in the gun which results in generally better shot placement) we had to wait until the rangemaster called "FIRE" before cocking the hammer, resulting in a bit slower firing than firing the gun double-action. If you're going to shoot single action, you need to practice with that in mind. I varied things up, shooting both single and double action as appropriate. That helped when I inadvertantly started with a live tound under the hammer, instead of in the first to fire position. It was a string of five shots... bANG...BANG...BANG...BANG...CLICK (uh-Oh!)...pull the trigger again...BANG... All within the 5 second time limit for the string. And I'm sure I'm not the first person that has happened to.

Anyway, back on point... The more you shoot your revolver, the better you'll be able to teach your students, IMHO, plus, you never know when you'll need to have it to let a student, or friend, borrow it for their shooting test.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

howdy

Post by howdy »

n5wd wrote:While Howdy's idea is, IMHO a bit overboard, he does make a good point. A 2" barrel takes a bit more attention in aiming than does a 4" or 6" barrel, due to the shortened sight radius. While, to some folks, it's not that big of a deal, I think that if you do not regularly shoot a revolver (and if you're going to be a GOOD CHL Instructor, I think you should regularly shoot both types of handguns to be able to empathize with and be very familiar with the types of guns your students will most likely use), you do yourself a dis-service by handicapping yourself in any way.

Knowing that I was going to have to be more familiar with revolvers than I was, I found a good deal on a new Smith &Wesson 586, a 4" blue-steeled .357 which will, of course, digest .38 Specials all day and all night.

Another thought especially relevant to the CHL Instructor's course: DPS told our class that if we wanted to shoot single-action (i.e. Cocking the hammer then pulling the trigger to fire the gun -generally less movement in the gun which results in generally better shot placement) we had to wait until the rangemaster called "FIRE" before cocking the hammer, resulting in a bit slower firing than firing the gun double-action. If you're going to shoot single action, you need to practice with that in mind. I varied things up, shooting both single and double action as appropriate. That helped when I inadvertantly started with a live tound under the hammer, instead of in the first to fire position. It was a string of five shots... bANG...BANG...BANG...BANG...CLICK (uh-Oh!)...pull the trigger again...BANG... All within the 5 second time limit for the string. And I'm sure I'm not the first person that has happened to.

Anyway, back on point... The more you shoot your revolver, the better you'll be able to teach your students, IMHO, plus, you never know when you'll need to have it to let a student, or friend, borrow it for their shooting test.

Oh wow. I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day.
Texas LTC Instructor
USMC 1972-1979

switch

Post by switch »

I borrowed a revolver for my first class. Since I have taken everything from a Ruger Vaquero .357 (using .38 Special ammo) to one of my S&W 500 magnums. That got a lot of attention from the RO. :) )

Erick Drake

Post by Erick Drake »

Smith & Wesson 686 with a 5 inch barrel. Shot 250/250. Was actually surprised as I am not a revolver guy by nature. Only shot 249/250 with my Glock 17. I expected it to go the other way. :confused5
Founder - Ellington Arms
Texas DPS Certified LTC Instructor
NRA Certified Basic Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

S&W 686 with 6 in barrel. Wonderful gun. I ran the whole course in double action.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”