A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
c.edgington
Posts in topic: 2

NRA Instructors Classes

Post by c.edgington »

Hi All,

I apologize if this has been hashed out elsewhere, the search function on this forum is a little tiring. I just completed my NRA prerequisite courses to take the DPS class and am in the process of submitting that information to them.

I'm curious if any of you see the value in becoming certified to teach other NRA courses such as the PPOTH, PPITH, RSO, Rifle Practicals and so on... I just want to know before going down that road and spending the money if anybody has gotten either:

1) Good experience out of them to further other courses they have taught/are teaching.
2) If they are particularly popular/sell well or not.

Thanks!
Sent-01/22/2014
Plastic-3/15/14

AF-Odin

Re: NRA Instructors Classes

Post by AF-Odin »

I originally only took the Pistol Instructor and Basic Instructor Training. Due to the long wait to get into a CHL instructor course, went ahead and took the Home Firearms Safety Instructor and the Personal Protection In The Home Instructor classes for personal professional development. Learned a good bit from them and now have the NRA certification to teach these these. Good things to have in your kit-bag. In the future would like to take Personal Protection Outside The Home (only NRA course that includes drawing and firing) as well as certification for NRA "Refuse to be a Victim." If you are going to do much teaching you need more in your resume than just Basic Pistol and CHL (personal opinion). Even if you do not teach the actual NRA course, the information is a good starting point for building courses based upon your own curriculum---If you bill it as an NRA course you must teach IAW the NRA curriculum.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
c.edgington

Post by c.edgington »

That's really good to know and kinda what I expected. I have looked into getting my CRSO next and then the PP classes.

Have you had much success getting students for those classes or have you used them mostly as a jump-off point to create your own lesson plans?

Thanks!
Sent-01/22/2014
Plastic-3/15/14

jmorris
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmorris »

I too want to take the two personal protection classes and would like to teach them The problem is, IIRC, is that there's a portion on state laws that has to be taught by a LEO or lawyer. I'm thinking finding someone to do this might be a little problematic.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

dogflight
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dogflight »

jmorris wrote:a portion on state laws that has to be taught by a LEO or lawyer.
:confused5 ... can you elaborate?
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

dogflight wrote:
Chapter 3 - Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership, and the Use of Deadly Force
From the instructor manual (I don't have a copy, ran across this piece online).
"This lesson must be conducted by a law enforcement officer (LEO) who possesses an intermediate, or higher, Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) or similar certificate granted by the governing body within the state that controls the standards of police officer training, or an attorney licensed to practice law within the state this course is given and who is familiar with this area of the law."

And from the Training Updates, just in case one thought they could tape it once and reuse it.
=======================
NRA Personal Protection Course Update

Big news regarding lesson III of the NRA Personal Protection courses: Lesson III of the Personal Protection Courses must be conducted in a way that allows live interactivity. This includes traditional live on-site instruction as well as instruction via telecommunication technology that allows live video-conferencing interactivity between the students and the course presenter(s) during the program.

Proper and effective use of such technology can satisfy NRA’s requirements regarding the manner of presentation of Lesson III. You must discuss with your attorney whether it satisfies the laws applicable in your jurisdiction or other requirements of your situation. This communication should not be used as a basis for any inference on appropriate teaching methods for any other lessons.
=======================================
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

Thanks for the info, jmorris. I had no idea. Makes my plans to one day add those courses to my teaching roster, well, as you say, problematic. I'm POST certified, but in California, whereas I now live/teach in Texas. Sigh.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I'm thinking that doing the citizens academy thing may give me contacts that may help me find someone who would do it.

Besides, I think it'd be fun.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

I agree. It would be fun, and helpful to the community.

I wonder if the LEO or lawyer has to be NRA certified to teach the class, of if he/she could "conduct the lesson" as part of my class delivery and under the auspices of my certification? Assuming I could find a willing member of either of those groups here in tiny Athens...

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

jmorris wrote:
dogflight wrote:
Chapter 3 - Firearms and the Law: Possession, Ownership, and the Use of Deadly Force
From the instructor manual (I don't have a copy, ran across this piece online).
"This lesson must be conducted by a law enforcement officer (LEO) who possesses an intermediate, or higher, Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) or similar certificate granted by the governing body within the state that controls the standards of police officer training, or an attorney licensed to practice law within the state this course is given and who is familiar with this area of the law."

And from the Training Updates, just in case one thought they could tape it once and reuse it.
=======================
NRA Personal Protection Course Update

Big news regarding lesson III of the NRA Personal Protection courses: Lesson III of the Personal Protection Courses must be conducted in a way that allows live interactivity. This includes traditional live on-site instruction as well as instruction via telecommunication technology that allows live video-conferencing interactivity between the students and the course presenter(s) during the program.

Proper and effective use of such technology can satisfy NRA’s requirements regarding the manner of presentation of Lesson III. You must discuss with your attorney whether it satisfies the laws applicable in your jurisdiction or other requirements of your situation. This communication should not be used as a basis for any inference on appropriate teaching methods for any other lessons.
=======================================
I am almost certain that has been updated to included CHL instructors who are certified to teach in the state the NRA class is conducted in. Seems that NRA figured out that we are also familiar with the "use of force" laws. :thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Crossfire wrote: I am almost certain that has been updated to included CHL instructors who are certified to teach in the state the NRA class is conducted in. Seems that NRA figured out that we are also familiar with the "use of force" laws. :thumbs2:
Problem is that this was all I could find online about it. I guess I drop a line and see what the latest is. I'll update here when I hear back.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kg5ie »

"Note: Lesson III of this course: Firearms and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Self-Defense, is conducted by an attorney licensed to practice law within the state in which this course is given and who is familiar with this area of the law, or a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) who possesses an intermediate or higher Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate granted within the state, or an individual currently certified to instruct in this area of the law by the state in which this course is presented."

I think the "or an individual currently certified to instruct in this area of the law by the state in which this course is presented." is a CHL instructor.

Opinions?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

I'm waiting on a reply from the NRA Training offfice. He's off today and Friday so I hope to have something on Monday.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Will be interested to hear what answer gets. When I took the PPITH Instructor Course, we were told that Texas CHL instructors met the criteria to teach this block.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

kg5ie wrote:"Note: Lesson III of this course: Firearms and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Self-Defense, is conducted by an attorney licensed to practice law within the state in which this course is given and who is familiar with this area of the law, or a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) who possesses an intermediate or higher Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate granted within the state, or an individual currently certified to instruct in this area of the law by the state in which this course is presented."

I think the "or an individual currently certified to instruct in this area of the law by the state in which this course is presented." is a CHL instructor.

Opinions?
This is my understanding as well. I've only instructed the PPITH here in Tx, where I'm 'certified to instruct in this area of the law' as a CHL Instructor. The NRA keeps this section in the student book generic, as the possession, use, and use of force laws differ in each state, and are subject to change each legislative session (a much quicker rate than they update the curriculum). It also only skims an overview of Federal law & generics of what to expect post-incident, carefully reminding that it in no way constitutes legal advice, & that they should consult an attorney local to them for actual legal advice.

If a PP Instructor isn't able to teach this (ie, not certified), then my understanding was that he/she could invite a guest speaker to present that block (my understanding was the guest didn't need to be an NRA Instructor, however I'd suggest doing a rehearsal with them to ensure they present it in a professional manner & are on track with your timeline requirements, etc). The alternative for a non-certified-to-teach-Lesson III instructor was to refer his/her students to Section V in their handbook as a primer on the subject for their own independent reading after class, & suggest they consult with an attorney specializing in this area.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”