Instructor renewal instructions

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
twomillenium
Posts in topic: 6

Instructor renewal instructions

Post by twomillenium »

I just talked to DPS/CHL and this is what I was instructed to do for instructor renewal.
Fill out information and check information already on file.
Pay
Then send in completed CHL90.
She (Sheryl) said they will contact you about the online course after you register and pay.
The course should be ready within a couple of weeks.

I did, and I will let you know how it goes. I did not want to wait til the last minute, since the Dept. is known for it's sloth-like way of sending information.

Sheryl was very nice and patient and answered all my what-ifs. They also answer the phone til 7PM now.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Instructor renewal instructions

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I just did mine also, but I couldn't print anything, including the checklist. Did anyone have trouble printing? What is on the checklist for instructors?

Chas.

Topic author
twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I was able to print my checklist from the email confirmation and all it said was to complete CHL90 and supply supporting documents.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I had an email confirmation with the check list also. I don't know why I couldn't print from the webpage.

Chas.

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kg5ie »

They wanted the money, CHL90, and my current pistol instructor cert. I gave them that and they sent the following email.

"You have completed the initial part of the Instructor Renewal application process and we need no further documentation at this time. Additional instructions regarding the completion of the renewal process will be provided in email at a later date.

* There will be no “In Person” classes or proficiency requirements this year for the instructor renewal.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

txtaxman

Post by txtaxman »

This morning I attempted to start the on-line renewal of my CHL Instructor Certification. The system let me log in and verify my information. It also let me check that I agreed on the affidavits, but when I tried to continue, I got an error with the following comment: "An error has occurred with the application." I logged out and tried again three times with the same error.
Lamar County

mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mloamiller »

How often do you have to renew?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

mloamiller wrote:How often do you have to renew?
Instructor renewals come every odd numbered year, following the legislative session.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Received email that said they needed chl90 and current instructor certification. I had sent them day after paying. I called and said I was responding to email sent today (9/29). Darrell said that it was missing then looked a bit more and said they indeed had them. Thanks Darrell.

howdy

Post by howdy »

txtaxman wrote:This morning I attempted to start the on-line renewal of my CHL Instructor Certification. The system let me log in and verify my information. It also let me check that I agreed on the affidavits, but when I tried to continue, I got an error with the following comment: "An error has occurred with the application." I logged out and tried again three times with the same error.

I got the same thing today. I will try again tomorrow.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

o b juan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by o b juan »

txtaxman wrote:
This morning I attempted to start the on-line renewal of my CHL Instructor Certification. The system let me log in and verify my information. It also let me check that I agreed on the affidavits, but when I tried to continue, I got an error with the following comment: "An error has occurred with the application." I logged out and tried again three times with the same error.

I got the same thing today. I will try again tomorrow.
Texas CHL Instructor

Same for me "An error has occurred with the application." Tried 3 times also

Went to the RSD Sight and in concealed hang drop down and it sent me back to origonal RSD.
Im an Olguy and am not not computer wizard but sheesh.. i would have thought that as they have progressed that they would have it all figured out .. I could have done something wrong in trying to renew My Instructor paper work ..// Just how long have they known what we had to do.. The Leg Has been out since June right? Well I was in the Army so
yeah everything is slow in govt entities ; except pay :headscratch :headscratch line for the employees.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

howdy

Post by howdy »

Still getting the error message today.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

o b juan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by o b juan »

I just tried again and still getting error message and it is useless to use telephone
I have tried emailing rsd and no response Oh well maybe I can get thru on the weekend and sign up

If no luck I will snail mail everything.. I like snail mail :clapping:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gthaustex »

kg5ie wrote:They wanted the money, CHL90, and my current pistol instructor cert. I gave them that and they sent the following email.

"You have completed the initial part of the Instructor Renewal application process and we need no further documentation at this time. Additional instructions regarding the completion of the renewal process will be provided in email at a later date.

* There will be no “In Person” classes or proficiency requirements this year for the instructor renewal.
All I got was a confirmation e-mail of the renewal application stating that they wanted my CHL-90, which I submitted to them. I haven't heard anything since, although I probably did submit it a little early....

Still, I thought they would have had a canned mail response for applications...

Return to “Instructors' Corner”