Posts in topic: 1

Re: DAO and Safety On for LTC Test?

Post by Scott in Houston »

I took this video at my class...

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

RossA wrote:Well, if that's the case, then you can also say that a student has to use certain brands of ammo, certain types of guns, certain types of eye and ear protection, etc., or else they don't pass the test.
I don't see where an instructor has that authority.
The state has set out certain rules that we have agreed to use as instructors. Those are the rules we should use.
If there is not a specific rule or guideline that specifies how something is supposed to be done, then it is up to the instructor to define it and conduct it as they see fit

As SJFControl stated, they require SAMMI ammo at the DPS range. It is not specified in the government code, but they require it. There is reasonable and unreasonable. If you make sure your rules are reasonable, then it should be no issue. If the student doesn't like the rules, again, 'my range, my rules' and they can go somewhere else.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

When we did our instructors proficiency we had to use store brought ammunition and they inspected the boxes on the line.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

kjolly wrote:When we did our instructors proficiency we had to use store brought ammunition and they inspected the boxes on the line.
It specifically states SAMMI approved ammo for the instructor qualification at DPS. Not all store-bought ammo is SAMMI certified.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Welll ross A

My range my rules
Whatever I do it is for safety.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

RossA wrote:Well, if that's the case, then you can also say that a student has to use certain brands of ammo, certain types of guns, certain types of eye and ear protection, etc., or else they don't pass the test.
I don't see where an instructor has that authority.
The state has set out certain rules that we have agreed to use as instructors. Those are the rules we should use.
As others have said and Keith made it plain, "my range my rules." You just have to remember it is your dollar so you choose the instructor with the range that has the rules you can live with.

More than anything is "safety." I do not want to be on a line with anyone including instructors that are not safe. I have seen Firearms Instructors with LE agencies that had no clue about safety. I walked away from an Officer Survivor school for this very reason. The badge "Instructor" does not automatic transfer one to "professional."

Return to “Instructors' Corner”