A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Williamtravis
Posts in topic: 1

Self-Paced Proficiency

Post by Williamtravis »

Hey guys,

I've become increasingly annoyed with the proficiency portion of my classes at a range because it takes so long to complete. My local range isn't very accommodating and I pretty much have to work with each person individually, and it can take several hours just to get through a small class of 8 or so.

I was wondering if it would be acceptable to pair people up, show them the distance markers, give them a sheet showing what exactly must be shot, and then letting them pace themselves and shoot without me barking out orders while I simply observe. I see no statues requiring me to give the orders to shoot as is normally done.

As long as I was observing them for adequate time and order, would this be acceptable?

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self-Paced Proficiency

Post by Scott B. »

If you download the course outline from the instructor's resources section, there's guidance on both the written and proficiency demonstration.

"The proficiency demonstration must be conducted by a certified Texas LTC Instructor using the current course of fire, as determined by the Department of Public Safety."

Observing is not conducting. The range portion is when you really need to have absolute control over what's going on.

Would the range allow you to run students through before they open for regular business hours? If not, can you find another that will?
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Instructors' Corner”