18 year old driving with handgun in vehicle?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 18 year old driving with handgun in vehicle?

Post by Scott B. »

A topic I bring up when presented with this question. "You may trust your child (young adult), but do you trust the idiots they hang out with or give rides too?". This of course should also apply to adults w/ firearms in their vehicles. :mrgreen:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

I doubt many think it is always a good idea to leave the firearm in the car when your kid drives it. Some will, and be comfortable with it. Others will not, for good reason.

I'd still like to know whether the mere fact of possession inevitably means a transfer has occurred.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

FYI: For the purposes of firearm access, Texas defines a minor as someone UNDER the age of 17 (16 or less).
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

AverageJoe wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:Also remember that if your kid drives within 153 miles of a school that he is in violation of the Gun Free School Zone law. Gotta keep that in mind.
I don't understand the 153 mile boundary. Am I missing somehthing?
Yea, the sarcasm. ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AJSully421 »

AverageJoe wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:Also remember that if your kid drives within 153 miles of a school that he is in violation of the Gun Free School Zone law. Gotta keep that in mind.
I don't understand the 153 mile boundary. Am I missing somehthing?
I just rechecked, it isn't 153 miles, it is 152 and 8/9ths miles. I just rounded up.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

switch

Post by switch »

You are confusing federal and state laws. Fed says if they are under 18, the have to have written permission from a parent. (they do NOT enforce the federal law.)

Two state laws: One says you cannot transfer a gun to a child under 18 w/o parents permission. They other says 17. :) If you allow someone under 17, access to a loaded gun, with criminal negligence, it's a class C, (if he/she kills or injures someone, it may be a class A), but that's on you, the kid walks.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”