Timeline for Instructor Processing

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 8

Timeline for Instructor Processing

Post by locke_n_load »

So I had all my paperwork and fingerprints submitted for my LTC Instructor Certification. That was back on March 8, 2016. I got my email stating that they received my supporting documents, please allow up to 6 weeks for processing.
At 5 weeks I sent an email asking if they had everything, and they replied that they received my docs on March 8th and to please allow time for processing.

So now, 120 days after submitting, I have not heard anything other than that from them. I was hoping to have gotten into the May class for instructors, but obviously that boat sailed, and I really want to take the course in November. How long does it generally take for instructors to get word back that all their documents look good, and please register for the instructor course with DPS?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Timeline for Instructor Processing

Post by Scott B. »

DPS will email you an invite. You won't hear otherwise from them which can be aggravating. My invite was emailed almost 5 months to the day before the class.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

I don't know how large the classes are now but when they ran 70-90 students. Most were waiting 7 months to a year.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

c.edgington
Posts in topic: 2

Post by c.edgington »

locke_n_load wrote:How long does it generally take for instructors to get word back that all their documents look good, and please register for the instructor course with DPS?
I submitted my docs on 8/18/15. Called 3 weeks ago and they said they were still processing.
Sent-01/22/2014
Plastic-3/15/14

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Scott B. »

c.edgington wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:How long does it generally take for instructors to get word back that all their documents look good, and please register for the instructor course with DPS?
I submitted my docs on 8/18/15. Called 3 weeks ago and they said they were still processing.
You got hosed. I submitted my packet on 9/28/2015. Would have made the spring class, but when I called they had managed to 'not find' my docs until I called. Ended up in the May class instead.

Class size was 97 or so.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

c.edgington wrote:
How many times did you have to call before a person answered?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Scott B. wrote:
c.edgington wrote:
You got hosed. I submitted my packet on 9/28/2015. Would have made the spring class, but when I called they had managed to 'not find' my docs until I called. Ended up in the May class instead.

Class size was 97 or so.
How many instructor classes are there a year?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

locke_n_load wrote: How many instructor classes are there a year?
Depends on demand and how many they set up. My understanding is they try to wait until they get a large number before they schedule a class. I think when I took it a few years ago they had 3 that year.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Keith B wrote:
Depends on demand and how many they set up. My understanding is they try to wait until they get a large number before they schedule a class. I think when I took it a few years ago they had 3 that year.
Ah, I thought they just had 2, 1 in may and 1 in november. Was hoping when I applied in March to take the May class, but now I have been waiting patiently to get an invite for november. Anytime before then would be great. Just hoping it doesn't creep into next year - I would be very upset to wait a year for this.

Will try to keep calling I guess.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

locke_n_load wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Ah, I thought they just had 2, 1 in may and 1 in november. Was hoping when I applied in March to take the May class, but now I have been waiting patiently to get an invite for november. Anytime before then would be great. Just hoping it doesn't creep into next year - I would be very upset to wait a year for this.

They may only have 2 now. Back when I took mine there was a pretty big demand for classes. they may have it down now to where they just do a scheduled class with however many they get.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

for the guys that are just now applying .

when I signed up for a class in june 95'
there were I would guess over 100 in that class in august they were holding them every week I think from july or august

Sure Was disappointed when STAR (Hi pocets) RIDDLE retired She was a really great instructor as all were at the time.
I am sure the troopers now are just as good
there must have been 3,000 instructors certified the first year.
the last class I hold will be the day I checked out.
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

switch

Post by switch »

I was in the Labor day class in Pflugerville - w/about 320 other instructors. :) We had to split up in 2 relays to shoot at the range.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Keith B wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Keith B wrote:

They may only have 2 now. Back when I took mine there was a pretty big demand for classes. they may have it down now to where they just do a scheduled class with however many they get.
Took mine in January so that's three classes this year.

My timeline:
06/19/2015 Applied on-line.
12/08/2015 Received invite to Jan or May class, choose Jan.
01/20-22/2016 Took class.
01/29/2016 Received email confirmation that I passed and packet had been mailed. (The targets are reviewed to insure that they were scored correctly by the students so it takes a few days for the confirmation.)
Few days later received packet.

(locke_n_load, do me a favor when you go. If one of the instructor's states that he knows of a conviction for passing a gun buster sign ask him for details. I tried to get to him after class but missed. This was on the 06/07 signs portion. He also said intent was enough.)
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

c.edgington

Post by c.edgington »

locke_n_load wrote:
c.edgington wrote:
How many times did you have to call before a person answered?

Just once. I had to wait a while, but they answered on the first call.
Sent-01/22/2014
Plastic-3/15/14

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Finally got a hold of someone at DPS on the phone.

Apparently, my application has been complete but all my information had not been checked off as "completed".
So now they have fixed/finalized the application, and I am now on the waitlist. Which classes are apparently full for the end of the year.

SO FOR THE PAST 6 MONTHS, I HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN ON THE WAITLIST. AWESOME.

All said and done, I will probably have to wait for over a year to get certified, which is ridiculous.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”