Timeline for Instructor Processing

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Timeline for Instructor Processing

Post by Scott B. »

Sorry to hear it.

My only advise would be to make good use of the time by looking at other training opportunities / keep yourself busy and ease the anger at this particular gut-punch.

Look at additional NRA classes, local/regional training opportunities, update your CPR/First Aid certification if lapsed (or get it if you don't have them), additional med training if possible, or whatever interests you.

I've been wanting to add CERT (community emergency response training) but their 8 week meeting night conflict with a shooting event I'm loath to give up right now.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 8

Post by locke_n_load »

Finally got my invitation for a class in February. By the time they process me after the class, which I'm sure will take a month, I will have waited a year to get my certification from date of submission.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Good on you for sticking it out.

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Thanks.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

jmorris wrote: (locke_n_load, do me a favor when you go. If one of the instructor's states that he knows of a conviction for passing a gun buster sign ask him for details. I tried to get to him after class but missed. This was on the 06/07 signs portion. He also said intent was enough.)
They actually brought up that again in my class today. Said that someone carried passed a gun-buster sign, was convicted for carrying past it, appealed it, and the upper court upheld the decision.

I talked to trooper Owen during our next break (was the one who told the story), and the only details he had/could remember was that it was in Dallas County somewhere around 2008-2012. I don't think gunbusters were legal notice back in '08.

I am doing some googling to try and find this case, but am so far having no luck, and the instructor stressed heavily, multiple times, that intent was enough and that he would not carry past a no guns sign (now keep in mind he has been a trooper for 30 years and would not ever have to disarm for any of these signs). It is bothering me a lot that he is telling this to every LTC instructor class that comes through, because that is definitely not how the law reads, which is very, very clear on this point (one of the most clear things in there IMO).

I am going to ask the general forum for help in finding this case without the details that it was described during the DPS course. I am thinking/hoping that the trooper heard about the case from someone else, where the details have been smokey, like perhaps the person carrying did not have a CHL, but I really want to get this information before class ends tomorrow because I don't like 80 LTC instructors passing this along.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

We had that same story in our class. I think as a group we were 100% in disagreement with the idea of that sign = 'notice of intent' or however it was phrased.

Those more practiced in the law will probably drop some knowledge on us shortly, at least I hope.

Publicly accessible data can be difficult to find. I know when researching examples I use in my classes that the newspaper archives can be frustratingly short on follow-ups. Probably need access to lexisnexis and so forth.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

I'm starting to think that they are saying this just to avoid having to deal with somebody being called out on passing an invalid sign.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

locke_n_load wrote:
jmorris wrote: (locke_n_load, do me a favor when you go. If one of the instructor's states that he knows of a conviction for passing a gun buster sign ask him for details. I tried to get to him after class but missed. This was on the 06/07 signs portion. He also said intent was enough.)
They actually brought up that again in my class today. Said that someone carried passed a gun-buster sign, was convicted for carrying past it, appealed it, and the upper court upheld the decision.

I talked to trooper Owen during our next break (was the one who told the story), and the only details he had/could remember was that it was in Dallas County somewhere around 2008-2012. I don't think gunbusters were legal notice back in '08..
I did the Instructor Course in 2012. At that time SGT Bamsch (I believe) stated that there was no case law to establish precedent for gun buster signs; the discussion was it would be prudent to not become the test case. I felt the course was pretty thorough, & they were careful to not insert things without citations to back up what they were presenting. I'd like to think if there was case law already established, unless later in 2012, it would have been discussed.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Anonymous ESQ dropped the microphon with Tafel v. State, 10-14-00019-CR, 10-14-00020-CR, Court of Appeals of Texas, Tenth District, August 31, 2016e.

Boggles the mind, but here it is:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87772
:headscratch

Return to “Instructors' Corner”