Campus carry at private schools

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 4

Campus carry at private schools

Post by thetexan »

I received some conflicting info this morning so I want to clarify....

How does a private Christian university which has opted out of campus carry notify the public of that?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Campus carry at private schools

Post by WTR »

koine2002 wrote:The school I adjunct at has posted signage in accordance with 30.06 and 07 (though open carry is already not allowed on campus by statute). At every entrance to every building.

However, they are making an exception to licensed faculty and staff to be, at their request and at the school's discretion via an application, to be a "marshal" and be allowed to carry inside the buildings and during class.We do have a number of off duty LEOs who are students on campus at any given time.
Can they install a general 30.06 and 30.07 sign at each campus entrance, or must each individual building be posted? I don't care about campus statutes......my wife signed her contract, not me. I've been given no notice.

Topic author
thetexan

Post by thetexan »

I find no provision that exempts private universities, once they have opted out, from being required to post 30.06 as notice to the general public who would otherwise be able to cc.

The only special privelege they enjoy is the ability to completely opt out where other non-private school fall under the reasonable and non-generalized provisions In Rule Making.

Everyone's opinion?

tex

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casp625 »

thetexan wrote:I find no provision that exempts private universities, once they have opted out, from being required to post 30.06 as notice to the general public who would otherwise be able to cc.

The only special privelege they enjoy is the ability to completely opt out where other non-private school fall under the reasonable and non-generalized provisions In Rule Making.

Everyone's opinion?

tex
What exactly are you asking? Private universities aren't required to post any notice regarding CC.

Opting out is an administrative function in which a private university can enforce their policies, such as expelling a student or firing staff who carry on campus against an opt-out. In order to prevent the public from carrying (and making the opt-out criminally enforceable against the public, students, and staff), a private university has to post 30.06 notice as required in 46.035.

Topic author
thetexan

Post by thetexan »

That's the answer. I knew I was right!!!

In fact the one time I was ever wrong was one time when I thought I was wrong about something and I was really right!

tex

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Post by casp625 »

thetexan wrote:That's the answer. I knew I was right!!!

In fact the one time I was ever wrong was one time when I thought I was wrong about something and I was really right!

tex
I just hope you're not informing my private university, who has opted out, but has left gun buster signs in place instead of posting 30.06 signs :smash:

Topic author
thetexan

Post by thetexan »

casp625 wrote:
thetexan wrote:That's the answer. I knew I was right!!!

tex
I just hope you're not informing my private university, who has opted out, but has left gun buster signs in place instead of posting 30.06 signs :smash:
Oh no. This school has nothing! No signs. They think all they have to do is simply it out. That's a problem because that means the university police think that also. So the pd is probably clueless which means more chance of taking a ride if caught.

tex

Return to “Instructors' Corner”