School Safety Certification - Ammo Requirements as of 1-26-17

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 6

School Safety Certification - Ammo Requirements as of 1-26-17

Post by troglodyte »

I decided to start a new thread so the info would be easier to find.

Background from old thread:

RSD sent out class information but the ammo requirements didn't match up with the qualifications listed or what Charles had experienced in the pilot class.

This should be corrected by the time the next class receives notice. RSD was in attendance for both days and they took good notes and were very helpful.

New information

1-28-17 - Twelve of us attended the first class of the School Safety Certification over the last couple of days.

You will Pre-Qual with one firearm. 50 rounds. You have a single opportunity to pass.
Practical drills - 110 rounds.

If you bring 200 rounds you will be fine.

Also bring 2 magazines as you will be required to do a reload. Speedloaders if you are shooting a revolver.

They recommend bringing a towel to place on top of the barrels to set you gun, mags, and ammo on so it doesn't slide around. Highly recommended.
Last edited by troglodyte on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Jago668
Posts in topic: 1

Re: School Safety Certification - Ammo Requirements as of 1-11-17

Post by Jago668 »

I always bring 50-100% more ammo than a class requires. You can always bring it back home with you, but kind of difficult to shoot it if you don't have it.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
troglodyte

Re: School Safety Certification - Ammo Requirements as of 1-11-17

Post by troglodyte »

Just received a reminder email for the SSC instructors class.

Deleted old information.
Last edited by troglodyte on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Re: School Safety Certification - Ammo Requirements as of 1-12-17

Post by kg5ie »

Interesting. I wonder if that means 50 to qual in, 50 in case a reshoot is required, and 120 to qual out.....thus 220. :???:

I'm just gonna bring a bunch.....
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Interesting. I wonder if that means 50 to qual in, 50 in case a reshoot is required, and 120 to qual out.....thus 220..
That's what I was thinking also.
Talon Firearms Training

paultmartin

Post by paultmartin »

I sent an email to DPS inquiring about the 220 round count, specifically asking how many rounds were we to bring for each gun.

The response I received back: "I was just told that you will only be qualifying with one gun."

Read into that what you wish.

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

First day of class. Only one firearm is needed. 50 rounds to prequal and about 120 for practical.

The confusion was noted.

It has been really good training so far. I don't expect tomorrow to be any different.
Talon Firearms Training

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Thanks. Please keep us informed about this course and whether or not is worth adding to our repertoire of courses.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Topic author
troglodyte

Re: School Safety Certification - Ammo Requirements as of 1-26-17

Post by troglodyte »

Please see updated information in the first post
Talon Firearms Training

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

troglodyte wrote:......

They recommend bringing a towel to place on top of the barrels to set you gun, mags, and ammo on so it doesn't slide around. Highly recommended.
And so nothing disappears into the bung hole if the cap is missing. A good number were during the January LTC instructor class.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

jmorris wrote:
troglodyte wrote:......

And so nothing disappears into the bung hole if the cap is missing. A good number were during the January LTC instructor class.
I just flipped my barrel over. I used a old sweatshirt the first day. I didn't bother the second day but it would have been a little easier.
Talon Firearms Training

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kg5ie »

For the first "official" class I thought it went well. Some kinks, but that's expected. I think I'd like to start a thread where we can share some ideas on the presentation of this material. I, for one, don't think my normal classroom will be conducive to presentation of the scenarios. Sure would like to compare ideas.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I'm fixing to take the LTC instructor course, do I need a speed reloader for a revolver? Do they give you time to reload during the qualification?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

locke_n_load wrote:I'm fixing to take the LTC instructor course, do I need a speed reloader for a revolver? Do they give you time to reload during the qualification?
No need for a speed loader for the LTC Instructor Course, they allow time between iterations to reload. The course of fire is the same as the one you did for your LTC, but with both a semi-auto & a revolver. Passing score is 90%.

The SSC Instructor Course they're discussing here has extra training drills which aren't covered in the LTC Instructor Course.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”