Decock and Safety On?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Decock and Safety On?

Post by BCGlocker »

I remember when I took the instructor’s course, the State Troop Instructors stated that for our instructor shooting qualification test that all pistols with decockers and external safeties must fired decocked and safety in the safe position on each string? All revolvers must start with hammer down but the students can cock the hammer upon the starting beep.

Should these rules be enforced for our students’ proficiency tests?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

cmgee67

Re: Decock and Safety On?

Post by cmgee67 »

I think it is very important to be able to shoot with the double action on a your pistol because it teaches you trigger control and helps you really be come a decent shot. although I wouldn't make my students do that just because you may get them to do it there but as soon as they leave who knows what they will do. But I would however suggest it strongly.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Most students don't take the test with the gun they plan to carry, anyway. That would be a good idea, but no way to enforce it. In fact, instructors don't do that either. Everybody wants to do well.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

BCGlocker wrote:Should these rules be enforced for our students’ proficiency tests?
I took my course last January (2016) and seem to remember that specific question being asked. I believe the trooper said it was not required for us to enforce that with our students, but I don't remember an explanation as to why they do.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

This question came up during the last Instructor Renewal Class, & the response given was that there's not a requirement for DA vs SA, or safety on vs safety off.

From a training perspective, I have them use whatever condition the gun will be in while carrying & employing it defensively as this builds muscle memory (DA for a revolver; first shot in DA for a DA/SA semi-auto, then decock before the next engagement; safety engaged for a SA-only like a 1911, then reengage the safety before the next engagement; etc). The more repetitions an action is done, the more fluid it will be under stress.

My students have had a 100% success rate qualifying this way, & they walk away much more confident.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Mike S wrote:This question came up during the last Instructor Renewal Class, & the response given was that there's not a requirement for DA vs SA, or safety on vs safety off.

From a training perspective, I have them use whatever condition the gun will be in while carrying & employing it defensively as this builds muscle memory (DA for a revolver; first shot in DA for a DA/SA semi-auto, then decock before the next engagement; safety engaged for a SA-only like a 1911, then reengage the safety before the next engagement; etc). The more repetitions an action is done, the more fluid it will be under stress.

My students have had a 100% success rate qualifying this way, & they walk away much more confident.
On my first qualification, I cocked the hammer, and left the safety off after the first time I picked the gun up. I also fired body in line with the target using a singlehanded grip. I was not corrected. These days I take a modern shooters stance, and don't bother most times cocking the hammer. If I have the time and really want accuaracy I will cock the hammer. As far as the qualifications go I have no problem scoring a 100% on the test. Although I might struggle getting a perfect score with my Beretta Storm SC's 3 inch barrel. I wonder not only what kind of score people get shooting tiny guns but how much pain they endure shooting off 50 rounds in an LC9.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Instructors' Corner”