Auto Disqualification?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
boomstick
Posts in topic: 2

Auto Disqualification?

Post by boomstick »

I have a potential student that had a deferred adjudication on a Class A Misdemeanor 10 years ago. he is wondering if that is an automatic disqualification?
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Auto Disqualification?

Post by apostate »

Was it for family violence?

Topic author
boomstick

Post by boomstick »

No, Sorry for not stating the details...

Weapons possession. Pulled over in a car 10 years ago with pistol under front seat.
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

Should be GTG if over 10 years. It's a class A Misdemeanor in Texas. Deferral is considered a conviction for LTC eligibility, but 5 years from disposition is ok.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

boomstick wrote:Weapons possession. Pulled over in a car 10 years ago with pistol under front seat.
There but for the grace of Lady Luck go so many. I never get past feelings of relief and freedom when I wander the streets and pass the time with policemen, my cocked and locked .45 respectfully carried.

Of course, I don't do that all the time. I have a couple of 9mm's I favor, too. :mrgreen:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

treadlightly wrote:
boomstick wrote:Weapons possession. Pulled over in a car 10 years ago with pistol under front seat.
There but for the grace of Lady Luck go so many. I never get past feelings of relief and freedom when I wander the streets and pass the time with policemen, my cocked and locked .45 respectfully carried.

Of course, I don't do that all the time. I have a couple of 9mm's I favor, too. :mrgreen:
Presumably this wasn't in Texas...or he was doing something else, because unlicensed car carry was legal 10 years ago, right?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

As noted previously above, other rules apply if the charges stemmed from family violence or other crimes against persons..
Note that time is determined from date conviction is entered, not date of offense.

IANAL, My opinion. Not legal advice.

GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
Text of subsection effective on Jan. 1, 2016
(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
(8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense;
(9) is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

infoman

Post by infoman »

Any class A misdemeanor where the person received deferred adjudication is not disqualifying if over 5 years. Sounds like your student is good to go. (assuming that's the only thing on his/her record)

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

infoman wrote:Any class A misdemeanor where the person received deferred adjudication is not disqualifying if over 5 years. Sounds like your student is good to go. (assuming that's the only thing on his/her record)
Unless Family Violence which I believe is a disqyalifer for Texas LTC.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

carlson1 wrote:
infoman wrote:Any class A misdemeanor where the person received deferred adjudication is not disqualifying if over 5 years. Sounds like your student is good to go. (assuming that's the only thing on his/her record)
It wasn't. It was UCW or some equivalent offense.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ScottDLS wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
:thumbs2: I was responding to infoman's post that "Any Class A misdemeanor where the person received deferred adjudication is not disqualifying if over 5 years."

Question do they give "deferred adjudication" for Family Violence crimes?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

carlson1 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
:thumbs2: I was responding to infoman's post that "Any Class A misdemeanor where the person received deferred adjudication is not disqualifying if over 5 years."

A deferred adjudication for a Class A Family Violence offense is not considered a conviction by the Feds therefore not a permanent disqualifier to gun ownership. Nothing in the Texas LTC qualifiers says anything specific about family violence offenses, unless it's a federal disqualifier.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

ScottDLS wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
carlson1 wrote:

A deferred adjudication for a Class A Family Violence offense is not considered a conviction by the Feds therefore not a permanent disqualifier to gun ownership. Nothing in the Texas LTC qualifiers says anything specific about family violence offenses, unless it's a federal disqualifier.

infoman

Post by infoman »

carlson1 wrote:

I'll repeat this again & I'm 100% correct. Any Class A or B misdemeanor over 5 years that is deferred adjudication is not disqualifying. (exception being the 2 DWI's within 10 years "chemically dependent" statue). If someone is arrested for Assault family violence & they get deferred adjudication, then it's a 5 year window. if it's a strait conviction (& proven to be family violence) then it's a permanent disqualified. You can ask Charles Cotton too, he would agree. Any Misdemeanor Assault where the person got deferred adjudication is not disqualifying if over 5 years.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”