Year End Instructor Recertification?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Year End Instructor Recertification?

Post by kg5ie »

switch wrote:The email posted was 'direct from DPS. course, we are only talking about waiting a couple of weeks. :)

I sent in my renewal. The CHL-90 form did NOT mention needing copies of my NRA cert. But, I got a follow up email asking for proof of my NRA certifications AND a copy of my initial certificate (like I still have that anywhere or could find it.)

I notice the CHL-90 has an exception "I regularly instruct others in the use of handguns...." Would all active LTC instructors qualify under that?

jack

You can re-print your cert off of the nra instructor website. I had to do that. Printed it to pdf and uploaded to dps.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

switch
Posts in topic: 7

Post by switch »

I just learned that DPS plans on having 16 renewal sessions, 8 in Aug and 8 in Sep. They have cut the renewal for instructors to 4 hours and will have morning and afternoon sessions, 2 per day, Mon - Thursday, 8/14-17 and 9/11-14.

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by RossA »

Good to know. Any idea when we will be able to sign up?
By the way, these will be huge classes. Let's say 3,000 instructors divided up into 16 classes is about 187 people in each class.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Mike S
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Mike S »

You can submit your instructor renewal application, CHL-90 & supporting documents now. Log in as a Returning User & click on Instructor Renewal (similar process as renewing your LTC). After they process our applications, they'll send out invites for classes via email.

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by RossA »

Great! Will we be able to pick a class date, or do they assign them to you?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

jsenner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jsenner »

I own a range northwest of Austin in Bertram.

I'm happy to make it available for instructor certs.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

RossA wrote:Great! Will we be able to pick a class date, or do they assign them to you?
I believe they'll send out emails to those who've submitted applications with available dates listed, & you'll need to respond with the date you desire.

I'll pull Infoman into the discussion here; he always seems to have the most directed knowledge and will likely be able to shed some light (at least with better fidelity than my pontificating about past trends). :tiphat:

Infoman,
What say ye?
infoman wrote:I

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

jsenner wrote:I own a range northwest of Austin in Bertram.

I'm happy to make it available for instructor certs.
I'm an hour down the road in Dripping Springs. Holler if you want to organize something.

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

switch wrote:I will host instructors at my range. 30 miles south of DFW.
I would be interested in attending.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I submitted my LTC Instructor's renewal application and supporting paperwork back in mid-June, but have yet to receive any information about the renewal classes in August/September. I logged into the DPS website to check the status of this application, but there are no options related to status visible - the only options are related to addresses and/or contact information or reporting a lost license. I also tried the Contact Us form to send RSD an email asking for the status, but the form doesn't respond when I click Submit. I also tried calling but received the "everyone's busy, try again later" message.

Is anyone else experiencing similar frustrations?
LTC/SSC Instructor

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 5

Post by kg5ie »

mloamiller wrote:I submitted my LTC Instructor's renewal application and supporting paperwork back in mid-June, but have yet to receive any information about the renewal classes in August/September. I logged into the DPS website to check the status of this application, but there are no options related to status visible - the only options are related to addresses and/or contact information or reporting a lost license. I also tried the Contact Us form to send RSD an email asking for the status, but the form doesn't respond when I click Submit. I also tried calling but received the "everyone's busy, try again later" message.

Some have reported issues. Most have been browser related. The system doesn't like many of them. Try IE and make sure you delete browser cache before you try.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

kg5ie wrote:Some have reported issues. Most have been browser related. The system doesn't like many of them. Try IE and make sure you delete browser cache before you try.
I tried both IE and Chrome with the same results, but didn't delete the cache beforehand. I'll give that a shot.
LTC/SSC Instructor

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Tried it again and it worked, but I don't think it was the browser cache causing the problem.

When I entered my phone number, I used the Auto-Complete feature and it came up with the correct 10 digits, so I moved on to the next field. When I clicked Submit, there were no errors or other indications on the page that anything was wrong - just no response. After looking at all of the fields again, I noticed there was a format indicator next to Phone Number of (xxx-xxx-xxxx). I then added the dashes to the phone number and was able to submit it successfully.

I think it was the lack of dashes in the phone number that prevented the form from submitting. If so, there should definitely have been some type of error message or field marking on the screen to indicate there was a problem, rather than just simply ignoring the Submit request.
LTC/SSC Instructor

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'll host a certification "party" at PSC when we find out when we can start certifying each other. The only fee will be food -- bring something so we can turn it into a picnic. It will also be a good opportunity to network and talk about the very few changes in gun laws. For those of you who are new instructors, PSC Shooting Club is in Friendswood, about 25 miles south of downtown Houston on I-45.

Chas.
Have you decided on a tentative date?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rob777
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rob777 »

mloamiller wrote:I submitted my LTC Instructor's renewal application and supporting paperwork back in mid-June, but have yet to receive any information about the renewal classes in August/September. I logged into the DPS website to check the status of this application, but there are no options related to status visible - the only options are related to addresses and/or contact information or reporting a lost license. I also tried the Contact Us form to send RSD an email asking for the status, but the form doesn't respond when I click Submit. I also tried calling but received the "everyone's busy, try again later" message.

I submitted mine several weeks back as well. I received an initial email confirmation that they received my online application (and payment) but no confirmation they received my email with CHL90 and supporting docs. I've tried getting online for an update but am experiencing the same lack of an actual status as you. Hope to hear from DPS soon...
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Return to “Instructors' Corner”