A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Year End Instructor Recertification?

Post by RossA »

If I am correct, a lot of us will see our certificates expire at the end of the year. I know that it's only March, and most people are more concerned with what's going on in the Legislature right now, but I thought I would ask anyway.
Any early news of what will be required for recert at end of year?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Year End Instructor Recertification?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RossA wrote:If I am correct, a lot of us will see our certificates expire at the end of the year. I know that it's only March, and most people are more concerned with what's going on in the Legislature right now, but I thought I would ask anyway.
Any early news of what will be required for recert at end of year?
This year's recertification will require a live course with DPS. Four years ago, DPS offered several classes at various locations around the State. We then had to shoot the range qualification course with another LTC instructor. I hosted several instructors at PSC so we could certify each other. Prior to four years ago, renewal classes were at DPS in Austin and shooting was done on the range in Florence. I hope they stick with the procedure of offering classes around the State!

Whatever the procedure, they can't start scheduling classes until after the legislative session is over.

Chas.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I remember several years ago when they held a class at the DPS station on the northwest side of Houston. My friend and I (both instructors) had a range day and certified each other's range proficiency.

switch
Posts in topic: 7

Post by switch »

At the teacher instructor class, we were told that they are not going to have a road show for renewals, we'll all have to come to Georgetown. :(

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I hope they schedule a lot of classes, then. At a big venue. If all of us have to go there, it's gonna be a heck of a party.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RossA wrote:I hope they schedule a lot of classes, then. At a big venue. If all of us have to go there, it's gonna be a heck of a party.
There is at least one auditorium-style classroom at the DPS complex/range in Florence that would seat a lot of people. I hope the classes are there instead of a hotel. The DPS facility in Florence is fantastic! As much as I'd like to see a class in Houston, a trip to Florence isn't bad duty.

Chas.

switch
Posts in topic: 7

Post by switch »

Houston to Florence, DFW to Florence are not a big deal - day trip. I pity the guys driving from Amarillo or El Paso. :( They will need 2 nights in a motel.

I don't know how big that class room is, I'd estimate 150? That means they will have to have 20+ classes. Course, moving around that state will not cut the number of classes needed. I suspect most venues will be 150 or smaller. And the road show means they are out of the office 3 days for ever class unless they schedule some classes back to back in DFW or Houston.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

I figure when it is time to go it is time to go, :lol: . Seriously tho, when I travel solo, I tend to look for clean and cheap, in that order. I don't spend a lot of time in room anyways. When the schedule does come out it would be great if forum members got together during the evening for a meet and great.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RossA wrote:I hope they schedule a lot of classes, then. At a big venue. If all of us have to go there, it's gonna be a heck of a party.
There is at least one auditorium-style classroom at the DPS complex/range in Florence that would seat a lot of people. I hope the classes are there instead of a hotel. The DPS facility in Florence is fantastic! As much as I'd like to see a class in Houston, a trip to Florence isn't bad duty.

Chas.
3,600 some odd instructors - that's a fun logistical nightmare if they want to do everybody at Florence. Class of a 100 instructors pretty much fills up that lecture hall. So maybe 110 ~115 w/ no empty seats? There's also a pretty good sized dining area across from it that could seat a fair number.

Now if we got a range day or access to the skeet fields or skid pads, count me in! :fire
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

It's gonna be a loooong day if we have to do a day long class followed by range firing for everyone. Unless they allow us to pre-certify each other on the range at our convenience like we have in the past. That would cut down on a lot of time, especially for those who have to drive several hours to get home afterwards.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Scott B. wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
3,600 some odd instructors - that's a fun logistical nightmare if they want to do everybody at Florence.
You're right, but it's been that way since the beginning. I think DPS took the show on the road only once, perhaps twice. The same teaching crew has to teach all instructors, so moving around the State doesn't reduce their burden.

Chas.

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

Charles, any chance of getting them to let instructors certify the range portion for each other? The DPS range is fun to shoot on, but it would be really convenient to end earlier for those (probably most) who have to travel afterwards.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

RossA wrote:Charles, any chance of getting them to let instructors certify the range portion for each other? The DPS range is fun to shoot on, but it would be really convenient to end earlier for those (probably most) who have to travel afterwards.
That is what they did four years ago when the renewal class was offered around the State. This is purely a guess, but I'd be surprised if they don't require us to shoot at Florence since we'll already be there. I'm also guessing that we'll be doing the class at Florence rather than a hotel.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”