Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 2

Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact

Post by BCGlocker »

I recently had a 10-year old girl taking my Defensive Pistol 101 class with her 13-year old brother and mother. Glock 19 was too heavy and big for her, so she ended up shooting my Karh CW9. She did will and was able to do all the exercise but I did notice she had a hard time racking the slide despite of the "Push and Pull" technique.

I am thinking about to purchase a Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact as additional pistol for new/young shooters, your thoughts? Also, does anyone know if the slide is easier to rack?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact

Post by WildBill »

BCGlocker wrote:I recently had a 10-year old girl taking my Defensive Pistol 101 class with her 13-year old brother and mother. Glock 19 was too heavy and big for her, so she ended up shooting my Karh CW9. She did will and was able to do all the exercise but I did notice she had a hard time racking the slide despite of the "Push and Pull" technique.

I am thinking about to purchase a Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact as additional pistol for new/young shooters, your thoughts? Also, does anyone know if the slide is easier to rack?
I recently purchased an M&P 22 Compact. I think it would be an excellent pistol to teach any shooter. I am not familiar with the Kahr CW9, but since the M&P is 22LR, I believe the slide would be much
easier to operate. It is also good for smaller sized hands.
NRA Endowment Member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

BCGlocker wrote:
My wife, who has some arthritis in her hands, was having a LOT of difficulty racking the slide on her 9mm. She bought a Walther P22 because the slide was so easy to pull. Lighter cartridge and less recoil necessitate a softer spring. She still likes that little gun, and so do I, but she is now moved to a S&W 642 LS .38 Special just because we both would rather her carry something with more power.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

ANYTHING is easier to rack than the Kahr CM9/CW9.
My wife carries one and likes it, except that it is a bear to rack. Even I have trouble, and I have been doing this for decades.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Hot Dawg

Post by Hot Dawg »

I have the m&p compact & is what I started my wife on, now I use it to teach friends & family with.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I have the M&P .22 compact with a threaded barrel. It is a great little gun. Got it for beginners. Picked it up for a song, $179 NIB with 222 rounds of S&W ammo. It will become a loaner when the bill passes to remove caliber restriction for LTC.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Alf

Post by Alf »

RossA wrote:ANYTHING is easier to rack than the Kahr CM9/CW9.
:iagree: My 1911 and XD are easier to rack than my Kahr. That double spring is a beast.

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

kg5ie wrote:I have the M&P .22 compact with a threaded barrel. It is a great little gun. Got it for beginners. Picked it up for a song, $179 NIB with 222 rounds of S&W ammo. It will become a loaner when the bill passes to remove caliber restriction for LTC.
Hey, Bill, where can I pick up a Smith and Wesson M&P 22 Compact for that price?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

That was an introductory price the first week they hit the distributors. I have no clue what they sell for now. :-)
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”