Time Limit between class and paperwork submission

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
boomstick
Posts in topic: 1

Time Limit between class and paperwork submission

Post by boomstick »

With all of the buzz currently going on about the possible reduction of LTC fees from $140.00 to $40.00, I am getting questions about how long the CHL-100 is valid for if the individual waits until after September 1, 2017 to submit.

I believe I have heard that the certificate is valid for 6 months but I do not know if this is statutory or department policy or just the common consensus.

Thanks...
SSGT, USAF Security Police (1975-1981)
NORAD Cheyenne Mountain, Osan AB Korea, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
TX CHL/LTC Instructor (2011-2017)
NRA Pistol Instructor (2015-2017)

txpilot
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Time Limit between class and paperwork submission

Post by txpilot »

I am not an instructor, however I know that the CHL-100 form is valid for two years. Once you submit an application to the state, the application is valid for one year (you have one year to submit all the required paperwork.

rob777
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rob777 »

txpilot wrote:I am not an instructor, however I know that the CHL-100 form is valid for two years. Once you submit an application to the state, the application is valid for one year (you have one year to submit all the required paperwork.

:iagree:
(and I am an instructor)
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

It is two years and I believe it is in the Administrative Code. Any active instructor should be telling his/her students this in class. Also the application is good for one year, unless the Department notifies the applicant that they need additional information for the application. Then the applicant has 90 days to respond, even if it is to request the need for more time. If I am wrong, let me know.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

rob777

Post by rob777 »

rob777 wrote:
txpilot wrote:I am not an instructor, however I know that the CHL-100 form is valid for two years. Once you submit an application to the state, the application is valid for one year (you have one year to submit all the required paperwork.

:iagree:
(and I am an instructor)

found this older thread where Mr. Cotton chimed in http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=39206

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I don't want to take this off topic, but I have a question. Could a 20 year old take the class with his Birthday being two months away since the paper work is good for two years?

rob777

Post by rob777 »

carlson1 wrote:I don't want to take this off topic, but I have a question. Could a 20 year old take the class with his Birthday being two months away since the paper work is good for two years?
from the DPS website's FAQ section

14. If I am 20 years old, can I take the proficiency class now and still get a license when I turn 21?
Yes, however because you must attest to being 21, your application may not be submitted prior to your 21st birthday.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

carlson1 wrote:I don't want to take this off topic, but I have a question. Could a 20 year old take the class with his Birthday being two months away since the paper work is good for two years?
I have even had a 19 year old take the class with her father (Father's day present). She went on to apply day after 21st birthday and received her license without problem. ( except that when she applied, it was during the time it was taking almost 3 months to receive CHL/LTC)
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

rob777 wrote:
from the DPS website's FAQ section

14. If I am 20 years old, can I take the proficiency class now and still get a license when I turn 21?
Yes, however because you must attest to being 21, your application may not be submitted prior to your 21st birthday.
twomillenium wrote:
I have even had a 19 year old take the class with her father (Father's day present). She went on to apply day after 21st birthday and received her license without problem. ( except that when she applied, it was during the time it was taking almost 3 months to receive CHL/LTC)
:tiphat:

Return to “Instructors' Corner”