Constitutional Carry Impact on LTC Classes

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Constitutional Carry Impact on LTC Classes

Post by apvonkanel »

skeathley wrote::iagree:

But don't hold your breath on that. The union teachers would set their hair on fire.

:banghead:
There is no standard teachers' union in Texas. Also, licensing exempting from many state mandated zones is what already happens, as non-licensees are not allowed to carry within 1000ft of a school without it becoming a separate crime altogether.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

apvonkanel wrote:There is no standard teachers' union in Texas. Also, licensing exempting from many state mandated zones is what already happens, as non-licensees are not allowed to carry within 1000ft of a school without it becoming a separate crime altogether.
Exactly right. Parents dropping off their kids at school with a handgun in their vehicle under MPA are commiting a federal offense.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

If you plan to carry on a university campus or community college, a license will still be required, unless I'm mistaken.

I will maintain my license regardless of CC in Texas.

Also, a 30.08 without a 30.07 or 30.06 means that private property can required a license to carry. Still good reason to have one.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

george wrote:
bagman45 wrote:Would likely be the end of most LTC classes. Personally, I hope that it doesn't pass. I believe that anyone carrying a loaded weapon needs to have at least SOME training in the laws, handling, marksmanship, etc. While the current LTC regimen is certainly not particularly demanding, at least people are FORCED to gain some amount of education and be tested to make sure they absorbed at least some of it. While I'm sure some folks who are respectful of weapons will do the research themselves, I'm not particularly optimistic that the average joe will put in the effort to do so. It's not my intention to denigrate anyone, but would guess that most on this forum have not only gone through the rigor to earn their right to carry, but have also taken additional training classes and work on the their skills regularly.

I don't believe that removing the most basic requirements to assess knowledge and proficiency with a deadly weapon would lead to better outcomes, and would likely provide more fodder for the anti-gunners. I've shared my thoughts with Alice Tripp at TRA, encouraging her to spend their time and resources pushing to completely de-criminalize violations of 30.06 and 30.07.

While I'm all about the Constitution and 2nd amendment, I do believe that anyone who chooses to carry a loaded weapon should have some amount of experience and training (the more the better). I grew up in a rural area, hunting, fishing and enjoying the outdoors and being around guns as a part of life. We were all taught the "rules" at an early age, and it was enforced with an iron hand. If one doesn't have this type of background, they at least need to be taught the basics (CHL). Otherwise, I believe that we all become a bit less safe, as ANYONE can carry, regardless of experience, temperment, or ability.
What other "rights" do I have to "earn"?
:iagree: IMHO, the requirements for carrying a gun should mirror the requirements for voting (same number of educational hours, same monetary fee, same percentage of issued "licenses" per application, etc). If a state wants someone to show a "need" for a gun, then they also need to require a "need" for voting. A state wants to let all eligible voters register and vote, for free? No problem! Just do the same for the right to carry a gun. I would be all for a Constitutional amendment that required these to be identical in every state.

Although for the sake of completeness, I must note that you do have to pay for your right to life and/or liberty as a result of the Obamacare tax.

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Although for the sake of completeness, I must note that you do have to pay for your right to life and/or liberty as a result of the Obamacare tax.
All functional government is on some level those with more subsidizing those with less. Heck, any private business offering a discount is the same. I look at movie theater prices as a great example. Anytime you pay a full price at Cinemark or AMC you are subsidizing student, senior citizen, and military discounts. Then you have a theater in Alvin that offers zero discounts, but have very low priced tickets for all across the board. I often hear people wanting the government to be run more like a successful business, and those are two VERY common and successful business models. Either charge more for those that can afford it to allow access for those that can't, or keep everything reasonably low priced to allow access to all.

The wheels fall off when either side demands free. When one side says no to any subsidization for those with less, or the other says no to anyone paying at all. Anytime there is cost involved, it really just comes down to who's going to whine the most.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

switch

Post by switch »

In AK, CC dropped class demand by 30%.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

switch wrote:In AK, CC dropped class demand by 30%.
There you go. Interrupting our baseless speculation with relevant facts....

Return to “Instructors' Corner”