A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

New Laws

Post by BCGlocker »

Effective Sept.1, 2017, two things directly affecting LTC classes:

1. Online courses available. I assume this to replace the classroom portion of the current LTC course. Is like the what NRA abandoned Basic Pistol class model?
2. Removal of the caliber requirement. So there is no minimal caliber? One can shoot with a airsoft? A BB gun?

Does anyone have more information on these?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

ScottDLS

Re: New Laws

Post by ScottDLS »

BCGlocker wrote:Effective Sept.1, 2017, two things directly affecting LTC classes:

1. Online courses available. I assume this to replace the classroom portion of the current LTC course. Is like the what NRA abandoned Basic Pistol class model?
2. Removal of the caliber requirement. So there is no minimal caliber? One can shoot with a airsoft? A BB gun?

Does anyone have more information on these?
No more than you can shoot a .40 caliber airsoft gun or pop gun today. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 3

Post by sjfcontrol »

BCGlocker wrote: 1. Online courses available. I assume this to replace the classroom portion of the current LTC course. Is like the what NRA abandoned Basic Pistol class model?
Do you have a bill number for that? I haven't heard any scuttlebutt regarding online LTC courses, nor can I find any mention of it here... https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

HB3784
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

kg5ie wrote:HB3784
Thanks!
Never Forget. Image

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

The DPS must approve of the online course and my understanding is that they are not in a hurry to do so.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

twomillenium wrote:The DPS must approve of the online course and my understanding is that they are not in a hurry to do so.
Yeah, I figured...

Doubt there will be many ol courses for a LONG time.
Never Forget. Image

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 2

Post by twomillenium »

The online licensing that is available for different state licenses, where the licensee is required to pass a state test, still require the student to go to a testing site to prove ID and have a proctor witness the fact that the student was the one who took the test without assistance. Those that require CE classes usually do not require state testing, just online participation. (usually just taking whole course with in-course random testing to insure participation.) Unfortunately, there is no way to verify actual student participation. I don't think this is about continued education as much as it is a poor form of making sure that licensees actually intend to keep active licenses and a way of auditing licenses that are actually used.

I would assume the State would have to do something similar for the LTC online course.
But we all know what happens when we ASSUME. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

sjfcontrol wrote:
kg5ie wrote:HB3784
Thanks!
Discussed here:

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... hilit=3784
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

bmcferren

Post by bmcferren »

As of Wednesday evening - 6/7/2017 1942 ... the Governor HAS NOT YET signed this bill. This past week-end I sent (via the state's contact site) the following email to the Governor:
Governor - This is an email concerning HB3784 - The ability by the DPS to assign an online provider of internet training for the License To Carry (LTC) class. I've been an LTC instructor for 18 years and have knowledge of what this training entails and in my opinion the laws of this state with regards to the use of force are much to important for an individual to learn relying on an online course to teach them. I also believe that placing this responsibility in a few companies because they meet the criteria of "multiple years on internet training" defeat the reason for having these important courses. I request that you consider vetoing this bill. I believe that it was put together by special interest groups to further their access in how the people of the Great State of Texas are trained. Thank you very much.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Return to “Instructors' Corner”