DPS Update for Instructors

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Re: DPS Update for Instructors

Post by Scott B. »

skeathley wrote:That seems reasonable, but I would expect DPS to still require proof of certification as a pistol instructor, since that is a requirement. If you don't send in such proof, and they then request it, that will slow down your renewal for probably a month. I checked both boxes, but still sent my certification.

:rules:
That's what I did as well.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gthaustex »

So, paperwork is already submitted online and I shot yesterday with another instructor. Next question is do I need to do a CHL-8 for him and he for mine since normally those would go hand in hand with a student CHL-100 form? I don't see anything about it...guess I will send something to DPS RSD tomorrow.

switch

Post by switch »

Yes, you need to send in a CHL8. Personally, I think you could put both your names on one CHL8, both sign it and both instructor license numbers.

switch

Post by switch »

I'd assumed the instructor renewal class would be at the DPS range in Florence. They have a large class room there. Not sure of the capacity but I think it is 100+.

However, they may hold classes in Georgetown. They have used one of the motels right off i35 and have used a large meeting room in Pflugerville.

Just as a history lesson for new instructors, When the CHL was first created, there were 2 classes. Most of us took a 40 hour class (I took it twice. :) ) but IFF you could show that you regularly taught handgun classes, you could skip the 'lesson plan' part and only stay for 24 hours (not sure of the exact time, but got to leave around Wednesday afternoon. That exemption may have included the NRA certificate, not sure. I think I had it then but I never took advantage of it.

Several years ago, DPS started requiring all applicants (new and renewals to have NRA certs or equivalent. The no longer have 40 hour classes for new LTC instructors.

I understand that they might want you to keep up with standards, However, as we all know, all it takes to keep the NRA ticket is pay their fee. (There is some talk of requiring one to submit a class registration, but we could 'register' one of our LTC classes and meet that requirement.) I know that some people like to keep their instructor classification (for training/certifying family? friends? status???) and never teach, never plan to. However, I think anyone that has taught LTC classes would meet the 'regularly teaches handgun...' standard.

I note that teacher instructor candidates had to have taught 4 classes in the preceding year, (and absurdly minimal standard). I think they should have ranked instructors by the number of classes/number of students and trained the most experienced first. :)

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Does anyone know if you have to complete the shooting proficiency and submit the CHL-100 before you will be assigned to one of the renewal classes in August/September? The instructions seem to indicate you don't (see below) - you can take the class, then submit the CHL-100, but you won't get your new certificate until both are completed.
Once an Instructor has completed the renewal retaining class and submitted the CHL-100, a new
certificate will be mailed.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

mloamiller wrote:Does anyone know if you have to complete the shooting proficiency and submit the CHL-100 before you will be assigned to one of the renewal classes in August/September? The instructions seem to indicate you don't (see below) - you can take the class, then submit the CHL-100, but you won't get your new certificate until both are completed.
Once an Instructor has completed the renewal retaining class and submitted the CHL-100, a new
certificate will be mailed.
You are correct. All you need to schedule the Instructor Renewal class is your online application & CHL-90.

Before they'll issue your new certificate you'll need to provide your CHL-100 for range proficiency (both semi-auto & revolver).

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
mloamiller wrote:The CHL-90 includes these two options under the "must meet at least one of the qualifications" section:
  • * I am currently certified by the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) as a handgun instructor. (Please attach a legible copy of your class certification and credentials you received for the handgun firearm instructor’s training course(s) you have completed.)

* I regularly instruct others in the use of handguns and I am applying for the renewal of my License to Carry a Handgun Instructor Certificate.
This seems to imply that if I am renewing my current LTC instructor certificate, I can check that last box and don't have to submit anything related to NRA instructor certification. Is that correct?

Is there a specific definition of what "...regularly instruct others..." means in terms of frequency of classes?
That's a new block on the Form and I don't know the basis for it's addition. I'll see if I can find out.

Chas.
UPDATE: I don't have an explanation why that box was added, but LTC Instructors must have one of the three handgun instructor certifications required by law (Tex. Gov't Code §411.190(a))to obtain or renewal their LTC instructor certification.

Chas.

switch

Post by switch »

Well, that law says:

"(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors;"

Are they trying to say that the DPS instructor licensing 'school' is NOT 'nationally accepted'? Want to tell that to the 35 states that recognize TX LTC's? LOL

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

switch wrote:Well, that law says:

"(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to train persons as handgun instructors;"

Are they trying to say that the DPS instructor licensing 'school' is NOT 'nationally accepted'? Want to tell that to the 35 states that recognize TX LTC's? LOL
But the purpose of the DPS school is not to teach you how to be an instructor, it's to teach you what is required to be taught.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jamcgowan

Post by jamcgowan »

I just got my email with the dates and times, but no information about where in Georgetown the classes will be held. Does anyone have that information? I am going to have to drive up on Sunday for a Monday class so I need to find a motel/hotel nearby.
TIA
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

switch

Post by switch »

Georgetown Community Center, 445 E. Morrow, Georgetown, TX 78626.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

jamcgowan wrote:I just got my email with the dates and times, but no information about where in Georgetown the classes will be held. Does anyone have that information? I am going to have to drive up on Sunday for a Monday class so I need to find a motel/hotel nearby.
TIA
They send that with confirmation on the class date/time you selected.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Return to “Instructors' Corner”