A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

DPS Update for Instructors

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Fellow LTC Instructors, DPS has published an update for the 2017 Instructor Certificate renewal procedures.

Chas.

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Re: DPS Update for Instructors

Post by Scott B. »

Can you clarify when we should submit our CHL-100s?

It's not mentioned until the last bullet of the PDF. Not part of supporting documents in the CHL-90 packet? Sent my packet in this afternoon sans CHL-100 just to get the ball rolling.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by o b juan »

I snail mailed mine Last week I dont trust this computer stuff. Am I in trouble or on the short end of the stick?
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

The CHL-90 includes these two options under the "must meet at least one of the qualifications" section:
  • * I am currently certified by the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) as a handgun instructor. (Please attach a legible copy of your class certification and credentials you received for the handgun firearm instructor’s training course(s) you have completed.)

* I regularly instruct others in the use of handguns and I am applying for the renewal of my License to Carry a Handgun Instructor Certificate.
This seems to imply that if I am renewing my current LTC instructor certificate, I can check that last box and don't have to submit anything related to NRA instructor certification. Is that correct?

Is there a specific definition of what "...regularly instruct others..." means in terms of frequency of classes?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

skeathley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by skeathley »

You still have to prove certification by one of these:
1. NRA
2. TCOLE
3. Some other authority/training school
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mloamiller wrote:The CHL-90 includes these two options under the "must meet at least one of the qualifications" section:
  • * I am currently certified by the National Rifle Association of America (NRA) as a handgun instructor. (Please attach a legible copy of your class certification and credentials you received for the handgun firearm instructor’s training course(s) you have completed.)

* I regularly instruct others in the use of handguns and I am applying for the renewal of my License to Carry a Handgun Instructor Certificate.
This seems to imply that if I am renewing my current LTC instructor certificate, I can check that last box and don't have to submit anything related to NRA instructor certification. Is that correct?

Is there a specific definition of what "...regularly instruct others..." means in terms of frequency of classes?
That's a new block on the Form and I don't know the basis for it's addition. I'll see if I can find out.

Chas.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Can we all just rent a bus and go together?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

rob777

Post by rob777 »

So do we have to attend one half day class or multiple days?
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

infoman

Post by infoman »

You must attend a 1 day renewal class in Florence, TX. (half day classes.). Also you will need to send a CHL-100 for the proficiency portion only, you'll need to get another LTC instructor to sign off on it for you.

DPS Range/training Center
820 County Road 240
Florence, TX 76527
Last edited by infoman on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

When I read the box, " I regularly instruct others in the use of handguns and I am applying for the renewal of my License to Carry a Handgun Instructor Certificate." I had no idea of the intent of the language being used. I was hoping that if you were and active instructor (the DPS can tell by the CHL8's that have been turned in) that you no longer had to prove to be an instructor within another discipline. I have suggested this to my rep. and sen., (tho both are very anti-gun and I believe any communication from me is auto-file13).
If this were the case, I tip my hat, to whoever decided to use a little common sense.
Samuel Clements has been accredited to saying, " Common sense, isn't so common.". :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

While submitting my application for renewal, I noticed the fee was described as "Instructor Certification Renewal (Non License)".

What does the "Non License" refer to? It seems to imply that I don't currently have a license, which I do. Does it mean there could be a mistake with my records?

Or does it simply mean I'm only renewing my Instructor Certification, not my actual LTC?
LTC/SSC Instructor

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

infoman wrote:You must attend a 1 day renewal class in Florence, TX. (half day classes.). Also you will need to send a CHL-100 for the proficiency portion only, you'll need to get another LTC instructor to sign off on it for you.

DPS Range/training Center
820 County Road 240
Florence, TX 76527

Actually, I'm wondering about that....

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/News/i ... pdates.htm

"The department will hold two separate Instructor renewal classes per day for one week in the month of August and September in Georgetown, Texas."

Unless they just cut and pasted from an old version of that message.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

infoman

Post by infoman »

I actually just heard today that the classes will prob be held somewhere in Georgetown, TX. I also heard they are now taking online renewals, so you can pay online & send your documents in before July 1st. my apologies about Florence, prior to today I had heard the classes would be held there.

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

skeathley wrote:You still have to prove certification by one of these:
1. NRA
2. TCOLE
3. Some other authority/training school
The form seems to imply otherwise, since "at least one" option is acceptable, and one of those options is "...applying for the renewal..."
LTC/SSC Instructor

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

That seems reasonable, but I would expect DPS to still require proof of certification as a pistol instructor, since that is a requirement. If you don't send in such proof, and they then request it, that will slow down your renewal for probably a month. I checked both boxes, but still sent my certification.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”