Impact of new laws on offering LTC classes now

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 1

Impact of new laws on offering LTC classes now

Post by mloamiller »

Based on the outcome of the latest congressional session, or the expected outcome of the upcoming special session, is there any reason to hold off teaching LTC classes for a time?

I know there is good reason to wait on submitting an application for a new LTC until 9/1 since the fee will drop significantly by then, but that wouldn't be reason to wait on taking the class.

I don't want to be in the situation of having a student take a class now, then find out that they would have been better off if they had waited a couple of months.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Impact of new laws on offering LTC classes now

Post by Mike S »

I'd recommend the following:

- Until the dust settles on the changes to law from this Legislative session, teach what the current law is as well as providing this link to the DPS' website where the updates will eventually get posted.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/Legal ... lation.htm

- After the DPS updates the New Legislation portion of their website, incorporate those changes into your instruction. Clearly explain what the law currently is, as well as the effective date of any changes/new legislation. This will also ease your transition with incorporating those changes when they become effective (just delete the parts that no longer apply).

Return to “Instructors' Corner”