A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Signed Up For Renewal. Questions

Post by RossA »

Went online yesterday, paid fee, filled out forms, uploaded NRA certificate, etc. Received a message that DPS would try to use my previous set of fingerprints and let me know if I need to get new ones made.
Question 1. Since prints are now being made and stored electronically, if the prints were good last time, why wouldn't they be good this time?
Question 2. How long is it taking most of you to receive word back as to whether your old prints are good or not?

Related but slightly different question.
When I explain the licensing process to prospective students, a lot of people tell me that they already have prints on file as a lawyer, teacher, etc. and that they shouldn't need new prints. I always answer that I have been told for a long time that the state is working on a system which will allow different departments, agencies, etc. to communicate in the sharing of prints, but I don't think it's in place yet. What is the status of allowing a person who has been fingerprinted once for one reason to use those same prints for LTC purposes?

Thanks in advance.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Scott B.

Re: Signed Up For Renewal. Questions

Post by Scott B. »

How long ago did you hear that. I'm going to guess it was an idea that got floated and then quickly killed when budget numbers were mentioned.

I tell my students it's fairly painless. Schedule your appointment. You're in and out in 10 mins. If only govt ran as efficiently as FAST does. :txflag:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by skeathley »

TMI. I have been told by DPS that it is an FBI policy that requires a fresh set every time. That's what I tell students. Whether that changes next week or next year doesn't help these people. It only matters what the policy is now.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I wonder how FBI policy can require a new set of prints in order to renew a handgun license. Some states don't even require a license to carry, therefore people are carrying with no license and no fingerprints at all.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I imagine it's an issue for conducting the background check.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

IIRC, I have only submitted one set of ink prints with my original application back in 2001. I might have done a second set of ink prints in 2006, but am not sure. When they went to the electronic printing I think I received some kind of notification that the other set would be good and I did not have to submit another set and I haven't. I just did my third renewal last year and there was no issue at all about prints. I guess they scanned my original ink set into digital form and they are good enough.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

infoman

Post by infoman »

It is not universal, most people do NOT need to get new prints taken again. You're in the small minority. Some people do have the get new ones taken over again, as in your case. I'd say it's like a 90/10% split. You're in the 10%.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”