LTC Recert Range Proficiency Test

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

LTC Recert Range Proficiency Test

Post by BCGlocker »

Do we need submit two CHL100s (one for revolver one for semi) signed off by another LTC instructor?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

howdy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LTC Recert Range Proficiency Test

Post by howdy »

You need to qualify with both but only submit one CHL-100.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Idk maybe I missed something big, but I'm pretty sure there is no revolver vs. semi tests. I'm fairly certain what y'all are referring to is an old rule.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Students can shoot either. Instructors have to show proficiency with both.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's actually a pretty stupid requirement.
I don't believe there are many (or any) instructors that would fail. Proficiency as easy at it isn't that important. There are a lot of people who qualify with a full sized 1911, and a Blackhawk. and carry these itty-bitty LCPs and Ruger BlackHawks.

I don't mean to impune the integrity of the LTC instructors. But seriously, having them test and score each other? I am sure that there isn't much cheating going on because there is little need to and almost any instructor will relish an opportunity to shoot with fellow instructors. But really!!
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

The integrity of scoring another instructor or a first time student should be no different. Whereas I am sure that it might occur, I truly believe that MOST Texas LTC Instructors call the score what it is.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

The CHL100 has a box in the proficiency section to be checked if it is for an LTC instructor. Which presumes shooting both semi and revolver. The whole certificate presumes the integrity of the instructor filling it out. I have found through my interaction with people that folks who question integrity and honesty of others, without cause or reason, are probably using their own behavior as their guideline. :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Liberty wrote:....and almost any instructor will relish an opportunity to shoot with fellow instructors.
We're all shooting 250s, for the most part, so the measure becomes how tight that group is in the 10 ring. Not that any of us have any egos about that or anything. ;-)
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Scott B. wrote:
Liberty wrote:....and almost any instructor will relish an opportunity to shoot with fellow instructors.
We're all shooting 250s, for the most part, so the measure becomes how tight that group is in the 10 ring. Not that any of us have any egos about that or anything. ;-)
Although I think the requirement is a bit silly, it does sound like a lot of fun and I'm a bit jealous. I suspect that most instructors don't mind the proficiency requirement though.

Were there instructors qualifying with a pocket carry? Making single ragged holes with one of them is the real challenge. Last time I qualified it was with a 95FS. It's not what I normally carry though. I know I could qualify with my PX4 SC which I normally carry, but I'm just not going to shoot it as well as my bigger gun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Liberty wrote:It's actually a pretty stupid requirement.
I don't believe there are many (or any) instructors that would fail. Proficiency as easy at it isn't that important. There are a lot of people who qualify with a full sized 1911, and a Blackhawk. and carry these itty-bitty LCPs and Ruger BlackHawks.

I don't mean to impune the integrity of the LTC instructors. But seriously, having them test and score each other? I am sure that there isn't much cheating going on because there is little need to and almost any instructor will relish an opportunity to shoot with fellow instructors. But really!!
When I went through the instructor course there was at least three students with my range group who had to shoot a second time to qualify.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

howdy

Post by howdy »

The question was asked in the "Instructor" area of the forum so my answer assumed the OP was asking about the Instructor requal.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

When I went through the instructor course there was at least three students with my range group who had to shoot a second time to qualify.
I know of at least two cases where that was due to mechanical issues, and they had to change guns and shoot again.

:banghead:

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Return to “Instructors' Corner”