Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire


Topic author
RossA
Senior Member
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas
Contact:

Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby RossA » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:33 pm

OK, I checked online with DPS today and I have check marks by everything except the last line which says:

Certificate : Issuance pending completion of application review and/or instructor's training

I take that to mean that DPS has checked everything they need to and I'm good to go once I take my renewal class, right?
So now that they have confirmed that I am ready for the class, how long until I get word from them to pick a date? I know that some guys have been reporting how long it took from the time of application until notification, but how long from time of "good to go" until notification?
Thanks
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.


omegaman
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby omegaman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 am

RossA: Renewals no longer require any class time.


apostate
Senior Member
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Houston Texas

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby apostate » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 am

omegaman wrote:RossA: Renewals no longer require any class time.

I believe he's renewing his instructor cert.

User avatar

kg5ie
Senior Member
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:53 am
Location: Weatherford, TX
Contact:

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby kg5ie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:42 am

RossA wrote:OK, I checked online with DPS today and I have check marks by everything except the last line which says:

Certificate : Issuance pending completion of application review and/or instructor's training

I take that to mean that DPS has checked everything they need to and I'm good to go once I take my renewal class, right?
So now that they have confirmed that I am ready for the class, how long until I get word from them to pick a date? I know that some guys have been reporting how long it took from the time of application until notification, but how long from time of "good to go" until notification?
Thanks



It took a couple of days for me. Got my second notice yesterday. They accidentally processed mine twice. They are working them fairly quickly after you clear background.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com


gthaustex
Senior Member
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby gthaustex » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:08 pm

I've been at the -

Certificate : Issuance pending completion of application review and/or instructor's training

stage for two weeks....

Don't know if that is helpful to you or not. Still waiting for my notification from DPS.


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby twomillenium » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 pm

gthaustex wrote:I've been at the -

Certificate : Issuance pending completion of application review and/or instructor's training

stage for two weeks....

Don't know if that is helpful to you or not. Still waiting for my notification from DPS.

This post is about the instructor's certification not the LTC original or renewal. Since a instructor's training class has yet to be given then the completion of application would still be pending, at least until the 3rd week of August.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby mloamiller » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Just a couple of days between all check marks and receiving the email with available class dates.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO


AF-Odin
Senior Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 pm
Location: Near Fort Hood

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby AF-Odin » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Submitted all paperwork via RSD site on Saturday, 8 July, Had all checkmarks (except the final one certificate issue) on Wednesday 12 July, Received dates for class in Georgetown for week of 14 August today. Replied accepting morning class on Wednesday, 16 July this afternoon. Pretty quick in my estimation. Have scheduled a reciprocal shoot with a fellow instructor for 21 July.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
NRA & TSRA Life Member


mommagamber
Senior Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 pm
Location: Conroe, TX

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby mommagamber » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 am

Both me and my husband submitted our stuff for Instructor renewal and neither of us have any updated status. Ours just go to the
Choose Service

LICENSE APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending License to Carry a Handgun application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required. Once the application and documents have been received by Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

Please Note: Once a license has been issued, this service will no longer be available.

Change Information
Change residential address
Change mailing address
Change contact information
Report lost/stolen license

Anybody else do this or we just special?
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby mloamiller » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:26 pm

mommagamber wrote:Both me and my husband submitted our stuff for Instructor renewal and neither of us have any updated status. Ours just go to the
Choose Service

LICENSE APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending License to Carry a Handgun application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required. Once the application and documents have been received by Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

Please Note: Once a license has been issued, this service will no longer be available.

Change Information
Change residential address
Change mailing address
Change contact information
Report lost/stolen license

Anybody else do this or we just special?

I had the same issue for a couple of weeks. I emailed RSD asking about this, and a couple of days later, the website showed my correct status. Not sure if that was because I emailed them, or it just took that long. About 2 days after the website updated, I received the email to request a class date.
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts: 1638
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby Vol Texan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I submitted my new instructor packet earlier this year, and I'm seeing the same thing on the website.

I do hope they schedule and conduct the instructor training soon!
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

Armored Cav. | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator


Topic author
RossA
Senior Member
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby RossA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Yep, been a couple of weeks now since I show everything complete except the class. Still no contact on scheduling a class. The longer they wait, the more things get scheduled in my regular job, and the harder it will be to take off to make a class. I think they realize that this is not a full time job to a lot of us, and we have to make arrangements to take off during the week to be in class.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.


twomillenium
Senior Member
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm
Location: houston area

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby twomillenium » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:17 pm

RossA wrote:Yep, been a couple of weeks now since I show everything complete except the class. Still no contact on scheduling a class. The longer they wait, the more things get scheduled in my regular job, and the harder it will be to take off to make a class. I think they realize that this is not a full time job to a lot of us, and we have to make arrangements to take off during the week to be in class.

It doesn't hurt to give them a nice call.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.


Topic author
RossA
Senior Member
Posts: 826
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby RossA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:51 am

Over the years I have tried to call a number of times on different issues. Never been able to get a live person on the phone.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

User avatar

mloamiller
Senior Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm
Location: Grand Prairie, TX

Re: Looks like DPS Says I'm Good--How Long To Notification?

Postby mloamiller » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:58 am

mloamiller wrote:
mommagamber wrote:Both me and my husband submitted our stuff for Instructor renewal and neither of us have any updated status. Ours just go to the
Choose Service

LICENSE APPLICATION STATUS: If you have a pending License to Carry a Handgun application, please allow sufficient time for processing. If you have not already done so, please submit all of the items listed on the checklist you received. DPS will notify you by mail if further information or additional documents are required. Once the application and documents have been received by Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page.

Please Note: Once a license has been issued, this service will no longer be available.

Change Information
Change residential address
Change mailing address
Change contact information
Report lost/stolen license

Anybody else do this or we just special?

I had the same issue for a couple of weeks. I emailed RSD asking about this, and a couple of days later, the website showed my correct status. Not sure if that was because I emailed them, or it just took that long. About 2 days after the website updated, I received the email to request a class date.


After requesting a specific class date, I received verification of my class assignment in just under 1 week (7/13 to 7/18).
LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO
IDPA SO


Return to “Instructors' Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest