Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

Post by WildBill »

Liberty wrote:No, its not really your business. It is her right to to be able to protect herself, and her responcibility to make sure he doesn't have access to them if he has been legally denied the right. Its her responsibilty to fill out the forms completely and honestly .
:iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

Archery1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Archery1 »

Yes, you are the gatekeeper for "that person" who wants to get a LTC. But, applying subjective reasoning in face of the laws to protect rights is a slippery slope. Anti-2A use such subjectivity against rights. Say there's a law allowing you to carry on public property, but the powers that be think because there might also be bad people there, guns should not be allowed around that place. All of sudden, there's a sign that says to keep your gun at home. Well, someone determined that, subjectively, for the greater good, your rights needed trimming because of the actions of others. Same thing. It's her right to take your class independent of others or she doesn't posses a right to carry.
Last edited by Archery1 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

txglock21 wrote:
Liberty wrote:No, its not really your business. It is her right to to be able to protect herself, and her responcibility to make sure he doesn't have access to them if he has been legally denied the right. Its her responsibilty to fill out the forms completely and honestly .
:iagree: But, with that said, it is YOUR class. If you don't feel right about it, it's your choice. I don't think it would be the right choice, but that's just my opinion. :tiphat:
Can you give me some law or regulation which allows an instructor to deny someone a class because he "doesn't feel right about it"?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

mloamiller wrote:I co-worker of my - a woman - asked to be in one of my LTC classes. I said of course and asked if her husband was interested as well. She kind of hedged and said "He can't get an LTC, so let's leave it at that." She didn't elaborate any further on the why - maybe he has a felony conviction, something else; I have no idea. She might have actually said "he can't own a gun"; I can't remember her exact words as she spoke them rather hesitantly.

My question is, should I find out what the issue is that prevents her husband from getting an LTC, and possibly not allow her in my class because of it?
I'm not an LTC instructor nor have I read any of the materials to be one, but it seems the only questions you should ask is whether or not she can legally own a gun and that she understands her responsibility to keep all guns she owns out of the possession of anyone who is disqualified by law from owning guns.

Every woman in Texas who is qualified should get their LTC and carry daily.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RossA wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
:iagree: But, with that said, it is YOUR class. If you don't feel right about it, it's your choice. I don't think it would be the right choice, but that's just my opinion. :tiphat:
Can you give me some law or regulation which allows an instructor to deny someone a class because he "doesn't feel right about it"?
There is no law that requires an instructor to accept any student. I think an instructor has a right to decide who they instruction.
In the end it is the DPS, not the instructor who decide whether or not to issue the LTC. In the same light, I have a right to choose who
I take the class from. There are certain instructors who are great and others not so good.
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Offering the class shouldn't be an issue, anyone can take the class. She should learn in the class that a felon in possession of a firearm, even by marriage, is a crime. I have had many arguments about this, some think "shall not be infringed" means for felons too. I disagree.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WildBill wrote:
RossA wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
There is no law that requires an instructor to accept any student.
Unless the student is gay, female, transgender, old, or a member of a minority religion (including atheist), or a minority race.

If the prospective student is a middle age, Christian, White male, then you can tell them to take a hike with no risk of legal issues.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

baseballguy2001 wrote:Offering the class shouldn't be an issue, anyone can take the class. She should learn in the class that a felon in possession of a firearm, even by marriage, is a crime. I have had many arguments about this, some think "shall not be infringed" means for felons too. I disagree.
It did until 1968, the first 192 years since we declared independence.

Also in 1968, when I was 15, I could have walked into the local hardware store and legally purchased any firearm on the rack or ordered one through the mail, until the GCA of 68 kicked in.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
RossA wrote:
txglock21 wrote:
Unless the student is gay, female, transgender, old, or a member of a minority religion (including atheist), or a minority race.

If the prospective student is a middle age, Christian, White male, then you can tell them to take a hike with no risk of legal issues.
I have seen instructors offer woman only classes. They haven't faced any legal issues.
NRA Endowment Member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

There are several reasons her husband could be ineligible for an LTC, having a felony record is only one of many. The husband may be allowed to possess guns but not qualified to get an LTC.

If he is disqualified from being in possession of a weapon because he has a felony record, it doesn't mean his wife is not allowed. She could keep the gun locked up while she isn't physically in possession. She is not barred from having possession, She is only barred from allowing her husband access.

I also believe that as a co-worker she values her privacy. Office gossip is something that she likely wishes to avoid. She has a right to this, and her husbands' issues are none of the instructors business or concern. Her response to the LTC's questioning makes me think that she feels the same way.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Liberty wrote:There are several reasons her husband could be ineligible for an LTC, having a felony record is only one of many. The husband may be allowed to possess guns but not qualified to get an LTC.

If he is disqualified from being in possession of a weapon because he has a felony record, it doesn't mean his wife is not allowed. She could keep the gun locked up while she isn't physically in possession. She is not barred from having possession, She is only barred from allowing her husband access.

I also believe that as a co-worker she values her privacy. Office gossip is something that she likely wishes to avoid. She has a right to this, and her husbands' issues are none of the instructors business or concern. Her response to the LTC's questioning makes me think that she feels the same way.
Good post. Superb.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WildBill wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
RossA wrote:
txglock21 wrote:

I have seen instructors offer woman only classes. They haven't faced any legal issues.
So we are in agreement, I believe. After the Pulse nightclub attack, a Houston area gun range offered free LTC classes for gay people. That is also legal. It's fine to restrict or otherwise discriminate against men, straight people, etc. It would only be illegal to offer a men's only class, or free classes to straight people, but charge for anyone who is gay.

rotor

Post by rotor »

baseballguy2001 wrote:Offering the class shouldn't be an issue, anyone can take the class. She should learn in the class that a felon in possession of a firearm, even by marriage, is a crime. I have had many arguments about this, some think "shall not be infringed" means for felons too. I disagree.
Is this true? Anyone can take the class? What if one is not eligible to have a firearm? The class does consist of a range test and if one is not eligible to have a firearm how would that be done? I do agree that the woman in this case should be able to apply for her LTC and take the course.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote:
Is this true? Anyone can take the class? What if one is not eligible to have a firearm? The class does consist of a range test and if one is not eligible to have a firearm how would that be done? I do agree that the woman in this case should be able to apply for her LTC and take the course.

I never had anyone ask me if I was prohibited from having a gun, when I took my class. Without a background check, or an admission by the student, I can't see how an LTC instructor would know. It is just assumed, that if you show up for a class, with a gun, then you are legal. It would be easy to borrow one from someone, who did not know your background, or have owned it prior to your conviction. Since, people who are criminals, don't have a stellar history of obeying laws, disobeying one more to take an LTC class, would not be too far fetched. However, it, in my opinion, would be a waste of time and money, because, your secret will be out once you apply. As far as I know, DPS has no penalty for instructors who unknowingly teach a class to a prohibited person, but I am not an instructor.

But back on topic, if I were an instructor, I would have no issue teaching the co-worker, in question. Her husband's status, to me would be irrelevant. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: ...
So we are in agreement, I believe. After the Pulse nightclub attack, a Houston area gun range offered free LTC classes for gay people. That is also legal. It's fine to restrict or otherwise discriminate against men, straight people, etc. It would only be illegal to offer a men's only class, or free classes to straight people, but charge for anyone who is gay.
What Texas or Federal law prohibits private discrimination against homosexuals? I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not aware of a law prohibiting such discrimination in private businesses.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “Instructors' Corner”