Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Husband can't get an LTC; what about wife?

Post by twomillenium »

ScottDLS wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote: ...
So we are in agreement, I believe. After the Pulse nightclub attack, a Houston area gun range offered free LTC classes for gay people. That is also legal. It's fine to restrict or otherwise discriminate against men, straight people, etc. It would only be illegal to offer a men's only class, or free classes to straight people, but charge for anyone who is gay.
What Texas or Federal law prohibits private discrimination against homosexuals? I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not aware of a law prohibiting such discrimination in private businesses.
The Equal Rights Amendment of 1964. If you consider them handicapped.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
If the prospective student is a middle age, Christian, White male, then you can tell them to take a hike with no risk of legal issues.
I have seen instructors offer woman only classes. They haven't faced any legal issues.
This has nothing to do with the ability to refuse to teach the person as long as this is not the reason they are being denied taking a class. As WildBill stated, you can have women only classes. I know a lady who only teaches women. Basically, don't discriminate on basis of a protected class or people and you can run your classes and refuse to instruct whomever you like.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

twomillenium wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
So we are in agreement, I believe. After the Pulse nightclub attack, a Houston area gun range offered free LTC classes for gay people. That is also legal. It's fine to restrict or otherwise discriminate against men, straight people, etc. It would only be illegal to offer a men's only class, or free classes to straight people, but charge for anyone who is gay.
What Texas or Federal law prohibits private discrimination against homosexuals? I'm not saying it's right, but I'm not aware of a law prohibiting such discrimination in private businesses.
Civil Rights Act of 1964 does not address disability or homosexuality...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 4

Post by twomillenium »

ScottDLS wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
Civil Rights Act of 1964 does not address disability or homosexuality...
You're right but it is the mother of the American Disability Act of 1990. Sorry to the OP, to get so far off topic, as my post was for tongue in cheek.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

switch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by switch »

You might point out that people w/misdemeanor convictions can still get FL or AZ licenses that are valid in TX. You TX class/CHL-100 would qualify for AZ. :)

Return to “Instructors' Corner”