Travel to NYC

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Travel to NYC

Post by howdy »

I try to teach this in my classes.... you are traveling to Maine to hunt and your aircraft diverts to Laguardia/JFK or Newark airports for weather. You collect your checked bag (with your checked handgun) and go to the airline supplied hotel. Next morning you go back to the airport to continue on to Maine, your original destination. You check your bag...tell the agent you have a handgun in the bag...and get arrested. Here are a couple of people caught up in NYC gun offenses. (I saw this on Facebook)

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Abraham

Re: Travel to NYC

Post by Abraham »

Solution: Drive to Maine or go with someone who's driving and share the driving and gas cost.

Or, don't go...

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

I'm kinda torn on this one. Yes, NYC has some of the most draconian and ridiculous gun laws in the nation. People going in should have known that, and should have looked up what the laws were. Ignorance is no excuse.

BUT... There is the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. The DA and the arresting officers in this case should have followed the spirit of the law. These people were just passing through, on their way OUT. Let them go on their way with a fine or something. I'm sure by the time they were arrested after being detained and interviewed that they were seen as just ordinary citizens and not smugglers or violent criminals. Jailing them and charging them with a felony is just going way too far.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote:Solution: Drive to Maine or go with someone who's driving and share the driving and gas cost.

Or, don't go...
:iagree:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

strogg wrote:I'm kinda torn on this one. Yes, NYC has some of the most draconian and ridiculous gun laws in the nation. People going in should have known that, and should have looked up what the laws were. Ignorance is no excuse.

BUT... There is the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. The DA and the arresting officers in this case should have followed the spirit of the law. These people were just passing through, on their way OUT. Let them go on their way with a fine or something. I'm sure by the time they were arrested after being detained and interviewed that they were seen as just ordinary citizens and not smugglers or violent criminals. Jailing them and charging them with a felony is just going way too far.
These people only care about punishing the little people with the letter of the law. The "spirit" of the law is only applied as a defense to the crimes of the gov and the elites. Thugs, with power of the government behind their boots, ensuring the undesirables and deplorables are properly subjugated to their agenda of disarming the citizens.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero

Post by flechero »

strogg wrote:I'm kinda torn on this one. Yes, NYC has some of the most draconian and ridiculous gun laws in the nation. People going in should have known that, and should have looked up what the laws were. Ignorance is no excuse.
So when you are NOT flying to or through NY and weather or mechanical issue causes them to divert to NY. What do you do? You have meds in your bag that you must take. I've been diverted to NY instead of several other closer airports since American knew we were going to be stuck for the night and they needed the plane in NY for the next morning's flights. (I also carry on my meds separately but not all people can- my Mother had to check needles of her rheumatoid injections)

Just saying that there are times when careful planning to fly safely clear of NY ends up putting you squarely in NY.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Abraham wrote:Solution: Drive to Maine or go with someone who's driving and share the driving and gas cost.

Or, don't go...
You can't drive from here to Maine without going through New York or Canada.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

The laws I despise most are those which are effective at getting good people over small things while hardly stopping the bad ones, and this is a great example.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

flechero wrote:
So when you are NOT flying to or through NY and weather or mechanical issue causes them to divert to NY. What do you do? You have meds in your bag that you must take. I've been diverted to NY instead of several other closer airports since American knew we were going to be stuck for the night and they needed the plane in NY for the next morning's flights. (I also carry on my meds separately but not all people can- my Mother had to check needles of her rheumatoid injections)

Just saying that there are times when careful planning to fly safely clear of NY ends up putting you squarely in NY.
I would think it's possible to leave the luggage in airport control. Maybe some lawyers can chime in, but as far as I know (I'm no lawyer), as long as you're not in possession, you haven't broken any laws. Airports are like little safe zones. I've had friends who have left luggage with the airport for various reasons, from forgetting to pick it up or just too lazy to pick it up because they don't need it for that particular leg.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

strogg wrote:
flechero wrote:

I would think it's possible to leave the luggage in airport control. Maybe some lawyers can chime in, but as far as I know (I'm no lawyer), as long as you're not in possession, you haven't broken any laws. Airports are like little safe zones. I've had friends who have left luggage with the airport for various reasons, from forgetting to pick it up or just too lazy to pick it up because they don't need it for that particular leg.

:iagree:

This. As far as needed meds, I would not put them in checked luggage simply because luggage does get lost. It would be in my carry on, along with whatever I need for one or two nights, due to just such a scenario. If you never take possession, you will not be in violation. I would explain to the airline the circumstances, and let them keep possession. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

rotor

Post by rotor »

Liberty wrote:

Or, don't go...
You can't drive from here to Maine without going through New York or Canada.
The answer is here (not for Canada)

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Even stopping at a motel for the night in a banned state might get you in trouble though.
For flying, if you end up in a banned state don't get your luggage, let them ship your luggage intact to the final legal destination. People who have tried to comply with Federal transporting laws have gotten in trouble if they stopped for ?? en route. If it were me I would stop for gas only and move on to a safe state as fast as legal.
A few years ago I saw on TV a Texas women that went to NYC with her handguns and tried to check them in somewhere and was arrested. Obviously not too well read on NYC reciprocity. Google Elizabeth Anne Enderli. Wonder what happened to her.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I'm hoping for reciprocity soon :patriot:

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

As far as you not taking possession of your bag, that is not always true. I know of a situation where a man was forced by mechanical problems to change planes in NY. The airline transferred all luggage from one plane to the other, but x-rayed it in the process. The saw his gun in checked baggage, and took him off the plane in handcuffs. He could prove he had a non-stop flight around NY, but their response was,

"You're in NY, and you have a gun. End of story."

:banghead:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And, your bag doesn't always go where you are headed.

My daughter was working in Columbia, MO after college at MIZZOU. She was traveling from St Louis back to Dallas to interview for a job. She was only going to be there overnight, so just had a carry-on sized bag. When she reached the gate, the agent told her that the flight was really full and that there may not be room in the overhead for her bag. She offered to check it for her and she accepted thinking there would be little chance of it getting lost. Wrong.

When she arrived in Dallas, her bag never came up on the carousel. She then looked closely at the claim ticket and realized it was not even her name on the claim check. She went to the baggage claim and was advised her bag was on a plane bound for Santiago, Chile. :shock:

She left the airport with her friend and called her Mom. Not really thinking about the fact that there are no flights directly to Chile from St. Louis, she did not press the baggage claim agent about the current location of her bag, assuming it was in the air headed to South America.

I was finally brought into the loop and told her to head back toward the airport and I would see where her bag was. I looked at American's scheduled flights to Santiago and saw there was a flight departing DFW in about 20 minutes. I called American baggage and they confirmed it had been taken off of her plane from St. Louis and put on that plane. The national agent put me on hold and tried calling DFW baggage and the gate and could not get any answer (about 9:45 on a week night). She then sent several electronic messages trying to get the baggage handlers to pull the bag from the plane with no response. Unfortunately the plane left with the bag on it.

Her bag stayed in Chile for the next two days, then was finally put back on a plane to DFW, then sent to STL and delivered by courier two days after she was back home.

Needless to say, had that bag had a firearm, it might have gotten some better attention and proper routing, BUT, if it went as it did, then will bet the bag and contents would never have come back from Chile.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “Instructors' Corner”