Instructor proficiency in North Dallas

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
fatPete
Posts in topic: 3

Instructor proficiency in North Dallas

Post by fatPete »

Hello, Is anyone hosting or able to record an instructor proficiency in the Allen /Plano area?

skeathley
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Instructor proficiency in North Dallas

Post by skeathley »

I can help you out, if you can wait a couple of weeks. I have a private range outside McKinney, but have 2nd degree sunburn on my left arm right now.

:mad5
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Topic author
fatPete

Post by fatPete »

Sounds great. Thank you let me know when your all healed up.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

If anyone else wants in on this, post here.

Regards,

S

:fire

Royveal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Royveal »

I'm looking for an instructor in the Colin or Grayson County that is up for recertification and is willing to do the shooting portion for recertification with me. I will come to your location or you can come to mine. I am in Whitesboro Texas but work in Allen Texas.

Roy Veal
903-271-3404
PS if you call and don't get an answer please leave a voicemail I don't normally carry my phone at work.

Royveal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Royveal »

Give me a call at 903 271 3404. I need somebody to join me in recertification on the shooting portion of the course any day any time. My recertification class date is September 15th morning class. I have a place to shoot in Whitesboro, or if you would prefer we can use wherever you want to shoot. Leave a voicemail if I don't answer the phone.
Roy Veal

DallasCarry

Post by DallasCarry »

I just found this forum, I am also searching for someone in DFW to help me shoot the qualification; obviously I would reciprocate. I'll pass the 1st time no problem, so no worries about a re-shoot :). I am located in Dallas, I work in Coppell, and I shoot all around:

DFW Gun Range
Eagle Gun Range (Lewisville & Farmers Branch)
Elm Fork
Dallas Pistol Club (not a member, but my office is right next to it and I shoot action pistol/shotgun there)
North Texas Shooters Assoc

Note: If we ask, I am sure that many of these ranges will let us shoot a qualification course. I know Eagle is pretty accommodating so that's where I would try first.

I'm willing to travel a bit to get this done. I want to submit my paperwork ASAP to avoid the September 1st rush of applications. If anyone is interested in meeting up I'll make it happen any place any time, with the exception of this Sunday (27th) from 10am-630pm. Just email me at Ty@DallasCarry.com or send me a message with your phone number and I'll reply back right away. I'd post my ph# here but I don't want it on the internet for the whole world to see.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

RSD will move your LTC-100 to the front of the line if you write INSTRUCTOR REQUAL or similar at the top of the form.

I have a class next Sat (Sep 2), about 30 mins NE of McKinney. You can shoot with that class if you want. We would be shooting about 9:30 am.

:fire

switch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by switch »

I am about 45 minutes south of Dallas.

Actually, there is no rush to submit your LTC requal. You instructor certificate is good until 12/31. I'm sure DPS will mail your certificate out well before that.

I have seen estimates that new LTC's apps may take 3 months but that would not apply to an instructor recert.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I am doing an instructor qualification for one person this Fri at 9:30. If anyone else wants in on it, let me know. This is NE of McKinney.

Email me.

SK

DallasCarry

Post by DallasCarry »

Anyone still out there needing to complete their shooting qualification? I got so busy that I wasn't able to do mine yet...

Side note: I just obtained my LTC Instructor Credentials at the end of 2016. A friend who got theirs at the same time received a notice saying that as per Government Code, their certificate should not expire until after the 2nd anniversary of their certificate date. As such, they were being auto-renewed until Dec 31, 2019.

If we all renew right now, how long do our cert's last? If they're just going to expire on Dec 2019 anyway, then I'm going to push back on DPS hard to get my renewal fee back (which I am sure they will not do). That said, I am not counting on them for a response... So, for now I'll just enjoy my 2a being infringed and go shoot the re-qualification anyway because I don't want to lose my license. :grumble

switch
Posts in topic: 4

Post by switch »

What does your instructor certificate say about expiration date?
Normally, any issued in 2016 would expire 12/31/2017.
Have you been to Georgetown yet? done the classroom portion?
Where are you? I am about 45 minutes south of DFW and will gladly help you w/the proficiency.
The instructor certificate is good for 2 years, they all expire on 12//31 of odd years (after the legislature meets). The exception is initial certificates, some of them are for less than 2 years. :(

DallasCarry

Post by DallasCarry »

So, I guess I am lucky. DPS returned my message by phone and told me that they are:

1) Issuing me a refund for my $150 renewal fee, but that who knows how long it could take because it's the government.
2) Renewing my instructor credentials

Apparently it is written into law that certificates cannot expire before 2 years are up. BUT, their system only prints odd years on certificates. They had multiple complaints and fixed the issue, but I was very proactive and had already paid my renewal fee and attended the renewal class in Georgetown. I suppose a somewhat happy ending, but it was a real bummer to waste a day at that training class when I didn't have to.

When our credentials renew, are we supposed to get a new certificate in the mail? I want to make sure that I know my instructor license is renewed and that I wasn't just told that it was when in fact it did not. That would be a bummer since I teach every month.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

Yes, you get a new certificate.

sagevette
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sagevette »

For lots of reasons (long story), I still need to do my instructor's proficiency. Anyone else in the Allen/McKinney/Frisco area in the same boat? Happy also to travel further if needed.

Thanks,
Jim

Return to “Instructors' Corner”