Keeping Records for 6 Years

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
superchief

Keeping Records for 6 Years

Postby superchief » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:12 pm

I guess I missed the start of this requirement to keep the records for 6 years vs. 3 years. It looks like it counts after March 15 of this year. I didn't know about this until the renewal class today. Anyone remember when this was announced?

TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
SUBCHAPTER C QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR LICENSE
RULE §6.42 Record Retention
(a) A qualified handgun instructor shall make available for inspection to the department any and all records maintained by the instructor under the Act. A qualified handgun instructor shall retain:
(1) the instructor's certificate of training;
(2) course materials including curriculum, lesson plans, presentations, and any other documents used during the course; and
(3) copies of reports submitted to the department.
(b) Records must be retained for a period of six years after completion. Records must be stored in a safe and secure place and must be available for inspection by the department.
Source Note: The provisions of this §6.42 adopted to be effective March 15, 2017, 42 TexReg 1137

jmorris

Re: Keeping Records for 6 Years

Postby jmorris » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Problem is that I don't think these are actually announced. I know I didn't know the March edition had been published until someone here mentioned it. I'm working right now on pulling all of 37/1/6 into a pdf which I hopefully will keep updated and allow me to compare changes.
Jay E Morris
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC
NRA Lifetime/Recuiter
Cibolo, TX

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Keeping Records for 6 Years

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't recall exactly, but I confirmed that the six year retention requirement went into effect on April 1st. If your regular document destruction policy was to destroy them after three years, and if you did so prior to April 1st, then you are in compliance. If you currently have documents going back six years, then you need to keep them in your files.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”