Instructor recert comment

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Instructor recert comment

Post by kg5ie »

We were told in the Wed. afternoon class to expect undercover agents to come to our class sometime in the future. We were also told that they would register and pay and would remain totally obscure. Was any other class told that?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Mike S

Re: Instructor recert comment

Post by Mike S »

Wednesday a.m. class.

If I recall correctly, it was said that some had been investigated based on complaints (as in past tense), & that undercover officers might register as any other student would (to include payment). It wasn't made as a threat, and I didn't take it as a blanket statement; more of a quality control concern to ensure the integrity of the LTC program.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

kg5ie wrote:We were told in the Wed. afternoon class to expect undercover agents to come to our class sometime in the future. We were also told that they would register and pay and would remain totally obscure. Was any other class told that?
Concur w/ MikeS, that they might audit a class is not new.

In the introductory phase of my classes, I'll usually throw in a statement welcoming any undercover DPS/RSD personnel. I express my hopes that they'll enjoy themselves and thank them for paying the class fee! :cool:

It's mostly to amuse myself and partly to impress upon the students that it's a serious program with standards. Plus, it's fun to watch them look around trying to spot the undercover agent that may or may not be there.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

Monday a.m. class, this was mentioned (and has been discussed here on other occasions). They said that it was a possibility, especially if there were tips about instructors cutting corners. They don't have the manpower to put an undercover person in every class, so they aren't going to try.
NRA lifetime member

flechero

Post by flechero »

KC5AV wrote:They said that it was a possibility, especially if there were tips about instructors cutting corners.
As many times as we've had posts about poor instructors over the years, I think it's a good idea... and I wish the undercover person would tell the instructor after class... so that word gets out that they ACTUALLY do it on occasion. And so the good instructors get some on the spot, positive feedback from the agency.

If they actually follow through, it becomes a quality booster- and a nice positive reinforcement for the good instructors. If it's a years long idle threat, it does nothing but detract from the quality of the classes.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

They mentioned it Thursday afternoon.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

They told us that in the original training session...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

flechero wrote:
KC5AV wrote:They said that it was a possibility, especially if there were tips about instructors cutting corners.
As many times as we've had posts about poor instructors over the years, I think it's a good idea... and I wish the undercover person would tell the instructor after class... so that word gets out that they ACTUALLY do it on occasion. And so the good instructors get some on the spot, positive feedback from the agency.

If they actually follow through, it becomes a quality booster- and a nice positive reinforcement for the good instructors. If it's a years long idle threat, it does nothing but detract from the quality of the classes.
That's just it...they don't hit classes of 'good' instructors. They only show up if they have some reason to believe that an instructor isn't doing everything by the books. That usually involves students or other instructors letting DPS know of 'bad' apples. If an agent show up in your class, you have know reason to know, unless they determine that there is a problem with the way you're conducting your classes. Depending on the severity of the problem, they should give you an opportunity to correct it going forward, or revoke your instructor credentials effective immediately.
I agree that it would be more effective if they'd let other instructors know when they bust a bad apple.
NRA lifetime member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Wednesday, it was mentioned that the main reason for auditing a class would be because of complaints but not the only reason. Audits were more common when the CHL7 (advance notice of class to state) was in effect. I think the dept. decided to make complaints the priority, my understanding was a record audit would be more likely. RSD seems to be under a new regime and they do not sound like they were too confident with themselves. There were quite a few "we don't know" and several times a speaker had to be stopped and corrected. Very little time was spent on how the few new laws would effect classes or LTC. That was my take, if I am wrong I sincerely apologize.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”