A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
switch
Posts in topic: 1

Recert class

Post by switch »

I was at the Thursday PM class.
Several people have posted about other classes getting bogged down discussing the online training program.
There is nothing DPS can do about cutting off that discussion. However, if you raise your hand, get the mike, you, as a class participate, can point out that 99.9% of the people in that class do not plan to offer an online class. You can suggest they cutoff said questions/discussions. If anyone does plan to offer an online class, (s)he probably already knows as much/more than the DPS personnel and they can discuss it privately, instead of taking up the rest of the class time.
Just a suggestion for those scheduled in Sept. :)
jack

jmorris

Re: Recert class

Post by jmorris »

In the Monday AM class they asked how many people meet the requirements for doing an online class and 6-10 people raised their hands. This surprised me. But then I asked; does online mean like a defensive driving class, webinar, video conferencing, Skype? The answer was, surprise: We don't know.

BUT! I understand this. I think this law was as much a surprise to them as anyone else.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

they told us it is still being studied, they don't know and it will not be considered until 2018
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

rob777

Post by rob777 »

In the Tuesday PM class they asked how many people had experience teaching online classes and 6-10 people raised their hands but that's only 1 of the requirements (2 if you include everyone in the room was an handgun instructor). The 3rd requirement (experience working with government entities) will drop the eligible instructors down to just a few I wager... depending on how that is defined once they figure it all out.
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Does anyone know what business entity(ies) lobbied for the online class? I'd wager only a few would meet the requirements, and therefore only a few became the special interest group that got behind the legislation.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Does anyone know what business entity(ies) lobbied for the online class? I'd wager only a few would meet the requirements, and therefore only a few became the special interest group that got behind the legislation.
:iagree:

infoman

Post by infoman »

I think the main reason for the new online LTC course was for active military/recent discharged vets living out of state. These persons would never have to step foot in Texas. They take online course & submit military range scores (in place of proficiency).

Return to “Instructors' Corner”