letting instructor certification expire

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
feltoncorbett
Posts in topic: 1

letting instructor certification expire

Post by feltoncorbett »

I am currently a Texas LTC instructor. I am letting my certification expire at the end of this year. I also have my LTC. I only have the one card that states that I am a LTC instructor. No mention of my LTC. When my instructor certification expires 12-31-17 how do I prove that my LTC is valid?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: letting instructor certification expire

Post by Keith B »

What you should have is a Texas LTC, that just states Instructor in red on top. When your instructor certification expires, the LTC is still good, you just can't instruct, even though it says that at the top.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Your card is the LTC, it mentions that you are an instructor. Your instructor certificate is what allows you to instruct, not your LTC that mentions you are an instructor. If you are not renewing the instructors certification, I believe you have 30 days (January 2018) to notify the DPS because information stated on your card has changed. Your LTC should be good until the send you the new one that does not have instructor on it.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

I don't think the portion stating you are an instructor will make the LTC invalid even if you let your certification expire. The information pertaining to your LTC is still valid, so don't think it would require a change.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

twomillenium wrote:Your card is the LTC, it mentions that you are an instructor. Your instructor certificate is what allows you to instruct, not your LTC that mentions you are an instructor. If you are not renewing the instructors certification, I believe you have 30 days (January 2018) to notify the DPS because information stated on your card has changed. Your LTC should be good until the send you the new one that does not have instructor on it.
I think DPS knows if you don't renew your instructor certification, but now I wonder how much weight you're allowed to gain or lose before you have to notify DPS?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”