Instructor proficiency - LTC-8?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 5

Instructor proficiency - LTC-8?

Post by mloamiller »

Me and a friend of mine who, is also an LTC instructor, shot our renewal proficiency together yesterday and signed each other's LTC-100. Do we each have to submit an LTC-8 as well, or just send in the LTC-100?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Mike S
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Instructor proficiency - LTC-8?

Post by Mike S »

Yes, Sir. Both will need to submit LTC-8's.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I had a mix up on the LTC-8 I submitted, so I called DPS about sending in a corrected form. They told me that in this instance - an instructor renewal proficiency - we do not have to submit the LTC-8. The instructor only has to submit the LTC-100 for themselves.
LTC/SSC Instructor

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by surferdaddy »

Ok, so no ltc-8 then; just the LTC-100 from the certifying instructor.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

No mention of LTC-8 as a required document for renewal:

All Instructors will need to get with another Certified LTC Instructor and shoot the LTC Course of fire with both a revolver and a semi-automatic weapon. Once you have passed both, you will complete the Proficiency portion of the CHL100. Be sure that the top portion and Student Signature area are also completed. I have asked that you write “Instructor Renewal” across the top of the page so it is quickly identified by others in my office as an Instructor document and it is forwarded to me quicker. The CHL100 is due prior to your Renewal Certificate being issued. You can do this ahead of time and submit it either by uploading it on the website, emailing to this email address or by faxing it to 512-424-7284.

If you have any questions, please let me know through this email. I will get to your questions as quickly has I can, I do monitor the email box closely.

Molly Morin
Regulatory Services
Instructor Certifications

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

I'm not doubting that someone from RSD told you that, however it was asked during the Instructor Renewal Class, & the RSD rep there (don't recall her name, but she spoke with authority & generally was able to cite where info could be found in the Admin Rules for pretty much any off the wall questions that came up) clearly stated we were to submit LTC-8's for any instructors we certified.

Regarding what Montgomery posted above, this references what the person who is renewing his/her Instructor Certificate needs to submit via the Supporting Documents portal (the LTC-100 they received from the instructor that conducted their requal). The LTC-8 isn't something that the renewing party would create/submit; that's the responsibility of the instructor that's conducting the range.

Regardless if they want it, I'd definitely recommend keeping a copy in your records (& retaining for 5 years according to the updated Admin Rules) along with the confirmation email that it was received, & your copy of the LTC-100.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I'll give it a week and if my online status hasn't changed (i.e. still says waiting for proficiency), I'll call them again.

Related - I was pleasantly surprised that when I called the first time - around noon - the wait time was only four minutes.
LTC/SSC Instructor

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Final update - we both received our renewed certificates yesterday - right at a week after we submitted the LTC-100s.

Unfortunately this doesn't answer the question about whether the LTC-8 was required or not. The other guy submitted one for me; I submitted one for him as well, but I used his LTC number instead of his DL number. So, the LTC-8 either wasn't required, or RDS accepted it with an LTC number instead of DL.
LTC/SSC Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

mloamiller wrote:Final update - we both received our renewed certificates yesterday - right at a week after we submitted the LTC-100s.

Unfortunately this doesn't answer the question about whether the LTC-8 was required or not. The other guy submitted one for me; I submitted one for him as well, but I used his LTC number instead of his DL number. So, the LTC-8 either wasn't required, or RDS accepted it with an LTC number instead of DL.
In the instructor renewal class I attended, we were told that an LTC-8 was required. That does answer the question, what they do with it is not under my direct supervision.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

twomillenium wrote: In the instructor renewal class I attended, we were told that an LTC-8 was required. That does answer the question, what they do with it is not under my direct supervision.
Someone else made the same comment - about being told this during the renewal class. However, when I called RDS, I was told it wasn't necessary.

Safest thing to do, of course, is send one in.
LTC/SSC Instructor

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

mloamiller wrote:
twomillenium wrote: In the instructor renewal class I attended, we were told that an LTC-8 was required. That does answer the question, what they do with it is not under my direct supervision.
Someone else made the same comment - about being told this during the renewal class. However, when I called RDS, I was told it wasn't necessary.

Safest thing to do, of course, is send one in.
Something tells me that the folks giving the instructor class were probably more knowledgeable than the ones who first answer the phone. Fortunately, DPS tends not to punish one instructor for the lack of following instructions by another instructor, unless there is an indication of deliberate dishonesty.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I submitted an LTC-8 when I hosted the instructor session at PSC. The purpose of the document is to help DPS confirm that an LTC-100/CHL-100 is turned in by someone who actually attended the class/range session. I don't know why that would be different for instructors, but I could be wrong.

Chas.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”