RSD lost my LTC-8

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 4

RSD lost my LTC-8

Post by mloamiller »

Not sure if there is anything to do about this, but I wanted to pass it along.

I was following up with RSD about my School Safety Instructor application, which requires you to have taught at least four LTC classes within the past year. They responded that they didn't have any record of two of my classes (no LTC-8), even though I had a copy of the acknowledgment email from RDS from when I submitted them. Per their instructions, I re-submitted the LTC-8 forms for the classes they were missing, and they added them to my record. I'm good to go, but they weren't able to offer any explanation as to why they were missing in the first place.

If nothing else, it's another reason to keep great records!
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Re: RSD lost my LTC-8

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mloamiller wrote:Not sure if there is anything to do about this, but I wanted to pass it along.

I was following up with RSD about my School Safety Instructor application, which requires you to have taught at least four LTC classes within the past year. They responded that they didn't have any record of two of my classes (no LTC-8), even though I had a copy of the acknowledgment email from RDS from when I submitted them. Per their instructions, I re-submitted the LTC-8 forms for the classes they were missing, and they added them to my record. I'm good to go, but they weren't able to offer any explanation as to why they were missing in the first place.

I have not experienced a problem uploading LTC-8s, but others on Forum reported that DPS acknowledged a bug in the program. This was quite sometime back.

Chas.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: I have not experienced a problem uploading LTC-8s, but others on Forum reported that DPS acknowledged a bug in the program. This was quite sometime back.

Chas.
Unfortunately, the issue wasn't with the upload. In each case, the document appeared to upload successfully, I received the on-screen message to that effect, and also received the email from RSD a couple of days later, acknowledging the receipt of the LTC-8 (still referred to as CHL-8 in the email). Yet they were still missing the LTC-8.

Do you know what happens if a student applies for their LTC, but RSD doesn't have the LTC-8 from the instructor? Is there any notification to the student to that effect, or do they just keep waiting?
LTC/SSC Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

mloamiller wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: I have not experienced a problem uploading LTC-8s, but others on Forum reported that DPS acknowledged a bug in the program. This was quite sometime back.

Chas.
Unfortunately, the issue wasn't with the upload. In each case, the document appeared to upload successfully, I received the on-screen message to that effect, and also received the email from RSD a couple of days later, acknowledging the receipt of the LTC-8 (still referred to as CHL-8 in the email). Yet they were still missing the LTC-8.

Do you know what happens if a student applies for their LTC, but RSD doesn't have the LTC-8 from the instructor? Is there any notification to the student to that effect, or do they just keep waiting?
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the folks that had trouble with LTC-8s were able to successfully upload them, but there was a glitch in the system after uploading. I don't recall any instructors reporting that students were rejected as a result of that problem. This is speculation, but it could be that DPS didn't reject students' LTC-100s because they were aware of the bug.

I too print the confirmation and the "thank you" response to prove I uploaded it.

Chas.

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Post by twomillenium »

If I do not receive the LTC 8 email confirmation within 48 hours then I just resend it. It has been several months since I have had to do this. Until my class two weeks ago. I resent it 3 times 2 and 3 days apart. I did get a confirmation yesterday, Monday. In fact, I received 3 of them! That tells me it is a problem on their (DPS) side. I also received a call from a student, stating that he had received his LTC 3 weeks and 3 days after application. His wife called about hers and was told they were waiting on her LTC100. She claimed she sent it with her application, (which were against the instructions I had given) I told her just to resend it because that was an argument that she would not win, since the DPS controlled all the facts or lack thereof.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

twomillenium wrote:If I do not receive the LTC 8 email confirmation within 48 hours then I just resend it. It has been several months since I have had to do this. Until my class two weeks ago. I resent it 3 times 2 and 3 days apart. I did get a confirmation yesterday, Monday. In fact, I received 3 of them! That tells me it is a problem on their (DPS) side. I also received a call from a student, stating that he had received his LTC 3 weeks and 3 days after application. His wife called about hers and was told they were waiting on her LTC100. She claimed she sent it with her application, (which were against the instructions I had given) I told her just to resend it because that was an argument that she would not win, since the DPS controlled all the facts or lack thereof.
In my case, I always received the LTC-8 confirmation email, even though RSD later indicated they did not have it. I never had a student complain, but it may be because they hadn't submitted their application.

I still don't know how I would ever find out that a student's application is delayed because they don't have my LTC-8. Is the student notified "your instructor hasn't submitted their paperwork" or do they just keep waiting?
LTC/SSC Instructor

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

At the retraining class the admin person acknowledged there was a problem with uploads on the system. I seem to recall that she said it seemed to happen more often with non-IE browsers. Even though the system said they were uploaded and you got the mail it never made it.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Topic author
mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

jmorris wrote:At the retraining class the admin person acknowledged there was a problem with uploads on the system. I seem to recall that she said it seemed to happen more often with non-IE browsers. Even though the system said they were uploaded and you got the mail it never made it.
I always use Chrome, so that might explain it. I think I'll make a point of always using IE to upload docs.
LTC/SSC Instructor

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

mloamiller wrote:Not sure if there is anything to do about this, but I wanted to pass it along.

There is a bug with the "upload" process. Even if it shows it uploaded and even if you get the email notification, that does not mean they actually received it. The email is "automatic" even if they didn't get it. A lot of students have been told they did't get a copy of the students LTC100 too, even though the students had the email confirmation. It has been going on for awhile and is still a problem today.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”