GFSZ Question

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

GFSZ Question

Post by Vol Texan »

I know that a Texas resident with an out of state CHL is not exempt from the GFSZ act. But how about an out of state resident with a Texas LTC?

One of my students this weekend has an out of state DL, and an out of state home address, but he lives here while working on a big project for his company. Will his non-resident Texas LTC exempt him from the GFSZ while he's here in Texas?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Mike S
Posts in topic: 1

Re: GFSZ Question

Post by Mike S »

The exception applies to anyone who "is licensed by the state that the school zone is in". So yes, once your student receives his Texas LTC then he'll be exempt from the GFSZ for schools that are in Texas.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

No matter the question, if it involves the GFZSA, you’re taking the ride!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Mike S wrote:The exception applies to anyone who "is licensed by the state that the school zone is in". So yes, once your student receives his Texas LTC then he'll be exempt from the GFSZ for schools that are in Texas.
I'm fairly certain this is the correct interpretation.

Just my opinion.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Folks, by GFSZ exemption I'm assuming you mean driving through the school zone and in the parking lot. My understanding is that I cannot get out of my vehicle with a firearm in a GFSZ much less enter a building. Has something changed?
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

jmorris
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmorris »

Maxwell wrote:Folks, by GFSZ exemption I'm assuming you mean driving through the school zone and in the parking lot. My understanding is that I cannot get out of my vehicle with a firearm in a GFSZ much less enter a building. Has something changed?
Nothings changed. My understanding from when I got my license 15 years ago until today is that GFSZ does NOT apply to a license holder. So do not enter the premises of a school and your are fine.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grundy1133 »

jmorris wrote:
Maxwell wrote:Folks, by GFSZ exemption I'm assuming you mean driving through the school zone and in the parking lot. My understanding is that I cannot get out of my vehicle with a firearm in a GFSZ much less enter a building. Has something changed?
Nothings changed. My understanding from when I got my license 15 years ago until today is that GFSZ does NOT apply to a license holder. So do not enter the premises of a school and your are fine.
Im not an instructor or anything but raised an interesting question... my girlfriend works at a high school and is about to submit her application for her LTC, so according to this as soon as she's a LTC holder, she can carry in her car in a school parking lot as long as she doesnt enter the building with it? (if im not allowed to ask questions here just let me know and i'll delete this. sorry)
NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

I take my grandson right up to the door of the school while carrying. I do NOT go into the building. I do not carry when at a school sponsored sporting event but leave my gun in the car. I see women LEO bring their kids into the school in uniform and carrying.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Grundy1133 wrote:
jmorris wrote:
Im not an instructor or anything but raised an interesting question... my girlfriend works at a high school and is about to submit her application for her LTC, so according to this as soon as she's a LTC holder, she can carry in her car in a school parking lot as long as she doesnt enter the building with it? (if im not allowed to ask questions here just let me know and i'll delete this. sorry)
Yes, for two reasons. First, GFSZ won't apply. Second, as of Sept 2017, schools cannot prevent employees from having firearms in their car in the school parking lot.

No reason can't ask far as I know.
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

jmorris wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
jmorris wrote:
Yes, for two reasons. First, GFSZ won't apply. Second, as of Sept 2017, schools cannot prevent employees from having firearms in their car in the school parking lot.

alright thanks! now what if i went to go have lunch with her? would I as a non employee LTC holder be able to keep my gun in my car while on the schools parking lot? since im a LTC holder the GFSZ doesn't apply correct?
NRA Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Grundy1133 wrote:
jmorris wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
jmorris wrote:

alright thanks! now what if i went to go have lunch with her? would I as a non employee LTC holder be able to keep my gun in my car while on the schools parking lot? since im a LTC holder the GFSZ doesn't apply correct?
Yes
Jay E Morris,
NRA Recruiter (link)

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

alright thanks. appreciate it!
NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

Federal law prohibits gun possession within 1000 feet of a school unless the individual holds a LTC issued by that state or has a dwelling in that area. So, if you have a LTC from Texas you can carry on the parking lot, sidewalk, etc. but not in the building. There must be a ton of Texans driving by schools every day with a gun in the glove box and no LTC. Lots of criminals.
If you want to have lunch with your girlfriend and you both have LTC you can do so as long as you are not in the building. So, enjoy lunch in the parking lot and you can carry in the parking lot. The only question would be if there were some kind of organized event in the parking lot. I would hold that as iffy.
These GFSZ laws are really terrible because we have so many innocent Texans in violation every day. They just drive by the school under MPA and are guilty unless they also have LTC from Texas. I would guess that a federal LEO would have to be involved but who knows what an aggressive cop might do if you were caught and didn't have LTC. Now post office parking lot is still a GFZ even with LTC. That's sure smart. Who will arrest you when you drive through and put your letter in the mail box?
As has always been said, if need be there is always a crime that you have committed.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

rotor wrote: As has always been said, if need be there is always a crime that you have committed.
very very true...im sure just breathing is against the law some way or another.
NRA Member

Return to “Instructors' Corner”