Two-Tiered pricing?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Two-Tiered pricing?

Post by Vol Texan »

I was thinking today - I believe I'm going to implement a two-tiered pricing structure for LTC courses.
  • NRA members will pay x
  • non-NRA members will pay x + $40 (the full price cost for a one-year membership)
  • non-NRA members who want to join will pay x + $20 (I'll get them my recruiter pricing, and apply most of my commission to their purchase, so it'll be only $20 for them for the year)
In other words, I'll forego most of my commission to encourage new one-year memberships.

Anyone else do this?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Two-Tiered pricing?

Post by Grundy1133 »

Vol Texan wrote:I was thinking today - I believe I'm going to implement a two-tiered pricing structure for LTC courses.
  • NRA members will pay x
  • non-NRA members will pay x + $40 (the full price cost for a one-year membership)
  • non-NRA members who want to join will pay x + $20 (I'll get them my recruiter pricing, and apply most of my commission to their purchase, so it'll be only $20 for them for the year)
In other words, I'll forego most of my commission to encourage new one-year memberships.

Anyone else do this?
I have a feeling that people would find a place cheaper. when i was looking at places to get my LTC i chose the cheapest place. $25
NRA Member

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I’m an NRA life member, I found the cheapest place to take my CHL class. I don’t think most people would pay the “penalty” in order to take your class.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's been a while since I took my class or renewal. From what I've seen and read there are some instructors that are not only a waste of money but are sources of bad information that could get one killed or sued or criminally charged.

There are things I would ask before signed for a course.
  1. How long has this instructor been doing this? Practice makes perfect
    Does the instructor subscribe to this forum? The only way to really keep up to date.
    Will the student be subjected to a sales pitch for insurance? Paying for a sales pitch is shadey business practice
    Who recommends the instructor?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:I was thinking today - I believe I'm going to implement a two-tiered pricing structure for LTC courses.
  • NRA members will pay x

Anyone else do this?
I have a feeling that people would find a place cheaper. when i was looking at places to get my LTC i chose the cheapest place. $25
You get what you pay for. Many times the pricing equates to the level of quality of the class. I limit my classes to 15 students, many times 10, so that they get a more 1-on-1 time. No way would I do a class for $25 unless it was a special circumstance like for my church or close friends.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Keith B wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
  • NRA members will pay x

Anyone else do this?
You get what you pay for. Many times the pricing equates to the level of quality of the class. I limit my classes to 15 students, many times 10, so that they get a more 1-on-1 time. No way would I do a class for $25 unless it was a special circumstance like for my church or close friends.
It was special circumstances. It was originally $60. They were doing a $10 off special for February. And on top of that there were only 2 people in the class so they canceled it and didn't tell me so he said he'd take half off for the inconvenience.
NRA Member

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

You can join the NRA for $10 annually.

I do this.

Why?

I don't want the magazine subscription or further attention...with pleas for more expenditure.

O.K. I've joined, my charities (if you will) go elsewhere after that...

Don't like that, so sad, I'll spend my moola where I want.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

My classes are $75 that includes range fee, LTC-16, PowerPoint handbook and I am set up to do the powerpoint at your place if needed. I can't do it justice in 4 hours as it is not fair to most students. Most of my students are referred by past students. If it is for a church group, I will give back 10% to be earmarked for their Youth Fund. (Never had any complaints) I do conduct the class so that your 12 year old girl or boy can sit in it and not hear something they shouldn't.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

IMO, you should also give the same discount for other organizations such as TSRA or other national gun rights organizations.

apostate

Post by apostate »

I'd like to see FFL transfer fees with NRA discount instead of government paycheck discount.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:You can join the NRA for $10 annually.

I do this.

Why?

I don't want the magazine subscription or further attention...with pleas for more expenditure.

My biggest problem with the NRA was the constant calls for extending my membership / giving them more money. I was also tired of them starting with the question of "do you approve of the job that President Trump is doing" and then ignoring my response of "not really" and continuing with their script. After they called me twice within a week, after I had just extended my membership for an extra year, both times while I was at work, I finally had to ask them to put me on their do not call list. I support the NRA and will continue to be a member, but the constant sales pressure was a bit much.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

With my low ball subscription, I never have this problem.

To be frank, while I'm glad to be an NRA member, my charity money goes to my family.

They're all hard working, blue collar, low income types.

So, my discretionary income goes to help my Granddaughters.

What's left over, I use to directly help actual people, like paying their electric bill, Nope not cash they can urinate away on ...? - nor organized charities like United Way or the Red Cross.

Yes, I'm sure there are some decent organized charities, but most in my experience are one big con...

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

Abraham wrote:With my low ball subscription, I never have this problem.

To be frank, while I'm glad to be an NRA member, my charity money goes to my family.

They're all hard working, blue collar, low income types.

So, my discretionary income goes to help my Granddaughters.

What's left over, I use to directly help actual people, like paying their electric bill, Nope not cash they can urinate away on ...? - nor organized charities like United Way or the Red Cross.

Yes, I'm sure there are some decent organized charities, but most in my experience are one big con...
agreed. my mom and aunt both had breast cancer and after reseraching foundations i found that one only sends 2 cents per dollar to actually fund research. and my dad died a few years ago form non-hodgkins lymphoma and a lot of the organizations i found have similar policies... i find it easier to donate directly to a person who needs help rather than using a 3rd party like "non profit" organizations
NRA Member

WildRose

Post by WildRose »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Abraham wrote:You can join the NRA for $10 annually.

I do this.

Why?

My biggest problem with the NRA was the constant calls for extending my membership / giving them more money. I was also tired of them starting with the question of "do you approve of the job that President Trump is doing" and then ignoring my response of "not really" and continuing with their script. After they called me twice within a week, after I had just extended my membership for an extra year, both times while I was at work, I finally had to ask them to put me on their do not call list. I support the NRA and will continue to be a member, but the constant sales pressure was a bit much.
The simple solution is to say no to solicitation emails and phone calls and if they do call have them remove you from their call list.

I get very little junk mail from them anymore either in my inbox or PO box and the only phone calls I get are from the training department.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

WildRose wrote:I get very little junk mail from them anymore......
Same here... took 2 phone calls.. One to NRA member services and the other to the Vendor that handles insurance-related solicitations(don't recall who that is, but member service should be able to tell you... assuming this call is still needed). After that, the only contact I get from NRA is a monthly magazine...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Instructors' Corner”