School safety Inst Is there Changes since 01/2017?

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
o b juan
Posts in topic: 2

School safety Inst Is there Changes since 01/2017?

Post by o b juan »

Had a chat with another Attendee last week that just returned from SSC Instructor class.
He said the school employee must have the H/G locked and secured , they could not have it on ,
However the paper work I have from the class I attended In Jan 2017 Says on the outline page that they are not prohibited from
Open Carry at ascool.

Has there been a change? :rules:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

troglodyte

Re: School safety Inst Is there Changes since 01/2017?

Post by troglodyte »

That is only for the School Marshal program. He may have misunderstood. During our class there was a very brief discussion regarding the difference between the school marshal program and letting LTC staff carry.

BTW, during our class the troopers preferred the latter.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

ELB

Post by ELB »

The school Marshal plan has a provision that marshals who are in direct contact with students must keep the handgun locked up. (Which in my opinion makes it useless).

At least one school has said they went to the guardian program Rather than the Marshal planbecause of this issue.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Where to read about the guardian program ?
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

ELB

Post by ELB »

o b juan wrote:Where to read about the guardian program ?
That’s a good question.

I have googled extensively trying to find a documented explanation of the details, but all I find are newspaper articles with vague comments. Probably have to call one of the schools that actually uses it, and ask them for details or sources.
USAF 1982-2005

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

The "Guardian Plan/program" is not a "real" program. It is the individual schools giving, at least some, LTCs permission to carry. There is no "program" or "plan" they have to follow although many schools require additional training, whether that is NRA courses, the DPS School Safety Certification, local LEO, or some other training. The name "Guardian" was coined with Harrold ISD I believe. They had to have something to call the LTCs that were given permission to carry. While not official even the DPS used the term during our School Safety Certification Instructor's class because we didn't have a better name.

Each school has their own requirements. Some schools in certain areas may be similar since they tend to work off early adopter's plans.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Instructors' Corner”