On line classes have started

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

ChrisR
Posts in topic: 6

Re: On line classes have started

Post by ChrisR »

I'm a online course provider and I have also been teaching LTC classes in person for 9 years now. I own a range and training center here in Wichita Falls, TX. We still teach in person LTC classes along with instructor classes and all the others. We have a State prison here so I have been having all them take my online class along with other State correctional officers across Texas because they don't need the range portion or additional instruction, all they need is the online class. Same for certain military members. I have had instructors from all over Texas contact me wanting me to send my online students to them for the additional requirements if the student needs it. What I am testing is I'm giving these instructors a promo code to give there students that will allow them to take my online class for only $25 and that will ensure that that instructor can charge a reasonable amount for the range instruction portion. One instructor in Houston is sending all his students to take my online class for $25 and he only holds the one hour instruction and range qualification. He is actually making more this way and only spending a hour and 10 min handling the "shooting/instruction" portion and not having to spend 6 or 7 hours holding a class. I will see how it goes.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

ChrisR wrote:...

One instructor in Houston is sending all his students to take my online class for $25 and he only holds the one hour instruction and range qualification. He is actually making more this way and only spending a hour and 10 min handling the "shooting/instruction" portion and not having to spend 6 or 7 hours holding a class. I will see how it goes.
What a country!

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

warnmar10 wrote:

One instructor in Houston is sending all his students to take my online class for $25 and he only holds the one hour instruction and range qualification. He is actually making more this way and only spending a hour and 10 min handling the "shooting/instruction" portion and not having to spend 6 or 7 hours holding a class. I will see how it goes.
What a country!
What a Country? Exactly. More convenient for the students and more convenient for the instructor. What’s wrong with that? I thing it’s great to have a working relationship with other instructors. For the most part, I don’t think it will be a big issue because there will always be plenty taking the entire course in person.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

ChrisR wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:

What a country!
What a Country? Exactly. More convenient for the students and more convenient for the instructor. What’s wrong with that? I thing it’s great to have a working relationship with other instructors. For the most part, I don’t think it will be a big issue because there will always be plenty taking the entire course in person.
Nothing wrong with any of that. You either adapt or you go out of business.

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 3

Post by kg5ie »

So, other than signing the 101 after successful completing the proficiency instructions and test, what do we submit to the state?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jmorris
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmorris »

kg5ie wrote:So, other than signing the 101 after successful completing the proficiency instructions and test, what do we submit to the state?
LTC-9, online class equivalent of LTC-8.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

hitwsr

Post by hitwsr »

I received a call from an online student regarding the shooting qualification. I asked him if it was for Texas or another state? He did not know? Red Flag for me. I asked him what paperwork he had? He said he didn't have any? So, I don't know if he was fishing or what. I told him I could help him if he brought me his paperwork for me to review. No call back, and when I reached out to him the next day, no response. What should we expect from online students in regards to paperwork or confirmation to handle the shooting qualification? Also, heard mixed responses regarding the actual "in person" shooting qualification?? Is it just the actual shooting? Or, classroom instruction for marksmanship/safety etc and shooting?

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Below is how I recently modified the LTC page on our web site:

Private (minimum 5 hour) LTC classes are available for 1 - 4 people at $60 per hour on weekdays or $80 per hour on weekends (if available).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same hourly rates - with a 2 hour minimum - are applicable for anyone who needs to complete the RANGE PORTION of the recently-approved Texas LTC "online classroom course" option where Govt Code 411.188 (on pg 18 of the 2018 LTC-16) reads:

(d-1) A qualified handgun instructor shall require an applicant who successfully completed an online version of the classroom instruction part of the handgun proficiency course to complete not less than one hour but not more than two hours of the range instruction part of the handgun proficiency course BEFORE allowing a physical demonstration of the handgun proficiency as described by Subsection (d)(2).

The first hour will consist of the same DCSA Orientation as is standard with all classes, which meets the requirement stated above - and also qualifies people for DCSA Freedom Plan memberships. The second hour, or as much as needed thereof, will consist of the same range safety instructions and "demonstration of proficiency" as regular LTC class "Level 1" shooters (defined above). (See FAQ page for details on procedures, the actual course of fire and target scoring.)

In summary, the cost for the RANGE PORTION of the new "hybrid" LTC class option for 1 OR 2 experienced students on a weekday or weekday evening will be $120.00 (or $160.00 if needed on a weekend). Contact Lonnie at dcsa1996@yahoo.com for scheduling and to make a private pre-paid range reservation. Or, if applicable, to discuss the possibility of a private "Handguns 101" class or "Shooting Skills Tune up" in advance of the LTC "demonstration of proficiency". Please continue reading below, especially "Step 3".
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

hitwsr

Post by hitwsr »

^^^^ that's what I thought, 1-2 hours of class & shooting. * But "i heard" that the class portion may be done as part of the online course?

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

hitwsr wrote:^^^^ that's what I thought, 1-2 hours of class & shooting. * But "i heard" that the class portion may be done as part of the online course?
That may have bee what was "heard", the instructors have been notified and "told" that if they give a profiency test for an online license, they are also required to include a 1-2 hour class that includes firearm safety and handling.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

skeathley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by skeathley »

I doubt I will be asked to do any of these. I have been approached by several online providers already, and they seem to think I can do a private lesson and Proficiency for $30-40 and make more per hour than teaching a class of 16. You do the math. In addition, they want me to send them students.

Some of the online providers are promising that the total cost will be about the same, but many people will find out that either the cost is higher, or it is more difficult to schedule the Proficiency.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

dogflight

Post by dogflight »

ChrisR wrote:I'm a online course provider and I have also been teaching LTC classes in person for 9 years now. I own a range and training center here in Wichita Falls, TX. We still teach in person LTC classes along with instructor classes and all the others. We have a State prison here so I have been having all them take my online class along with other State correctional officers across Texas because they don't need the range portion or additional instruction, all they need is the online class. Same for certain military members. I have had instructors from all over Texas contact me wanting me to send my online students to them for the additional requirements if the student needs it. What I am testing is I'm giving these instructors a promo code to give there students that will allow them to take my online class for only $25 and that will ensure that that instructor can charge a reasonable amount for the range instruction portion. One instructor in Houston is sending all his students to take my online class for $25 and he only holds the one hour instruction and range qualification. He is actually making more this way and only spending a hour and 10 min handling the "shooting/instruction" portion and not having to spend 6 or 7 hours holding a class. I will see how it goes.
Sounds interesting, but aside from any arrangement with instructors, if a person simply wants to take your online class, what is your website?

Anyone know of other online provider websites?
Certified Texas LTC & NRA Instructor/Basic Pistol.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

jmorris wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am
kg5ie wrote:So, other than signing the 101 after successful completing the proficiency instructions and test, what do we submit to the state?
I have no password to access that form. That’s why I asked.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

kg5ie wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:54 am
jmorris wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am
I have no password to access that form. That’s why I asked.

So now we hear the LTC-9 is for on-line providers to report on-line classroom results. We’ll still use the LTC-8 to report shooting proficiency. Clear as mud?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
NRA Pistol Instructor

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

skeathley wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:52 pm I saw a Facebook ad for one of these online providers. They claim that, after taking their $49 course, you just have to go to a local range for the Proficiency, and you will end up paying about the same as for a live course.

I think that is a lie. The average cost of a class seems to be about $80. I don't see any instructor doing one hour of range training + the Proficiency for $31. Based on my current rates, that would cost about $90. I suspect most people will end up having real trouble getting the range training, or paying a lot more than they bargained on.

On the flip side, I visited the website of an LTC instructor who also offers the online course, and it *appears* that he is not requiring the range training, just the Proficiency.

I suspect that the only consultation on this idea undertaken by our legislature was with *one* online training firm, who designed the requirements to benefit themselves (and that legislator).

:waiting:
I am a LTC instructor and a online course provider. For my local people who take my online class I have them come in for the range instruction/shooting proficiency at 11:30am and they are out about 12:45 most of the time. From 11:30 to 12:30 we are covering handgun use, range safety and range instruction. At 12:30 they shoot and that normally takes only 15 min to run a line of 10 so they are done about 12:45. Of course it can take longer if the line is full of newer shooters with issues. It's 1 to 2 hours of range instruction before they actually shoot BUT everyone does the min 1 hour. Most students still just take my in person class so the "online" thing is not that big of a deal and probably will not affect any LTC instructors in person classes much. I'm the one who emailed all of you with the $24 promo code deal, several hundred of you took me up on it and it's working great for some LTC instructors.

Return to “Instructors' Corner”