Looking for .243 Winchester ammo/trade for .30-06?

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Looking for .243 Winchester ammo/trade for .30-06?

Post by K.Mooneyham »

During these unfortunate times, getting any ammo has been a challenge to one degree or another. Availability, price, etc. However, there are a few calibers that seem to have all but vanished. .243 Winchester seems to be one of those calibers. Where it can be found online, the prices are more than high and that's made worse by the shipping and handling charge for getting a couple of boxes.

That said, I have two boxes of 180 grain Remington Core-Lokt SP that I would like to trade. It's the bullet weight I have the most of in that caliber, so I would let a couple go to get some .243 Win. The biggest problem is that I live pretty far from any big cities in this state. If anyone is anywhere near Vernon, up by the Red River near Wichita Falls, and would like to trade, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ruark

Re: Looking for .243 Winchester ammo/trade for .30-06?

Post by Ruark »

Always happy to help out a fellow shooter.

I have 19 rounds of Remington Accutip, 75 gr. BT. These things come out of the muzzle at 3485 fps and will make a mess out of any varmint from a coyote on down. Should be OK for deer with a high neck shot. Accuracy seems to vary: according to reports, they spray with some guns, shoot cloverleafs with others.

I also dug up 10 rounds of standard 100 gr. Winchester Power Points.

I use a different ammo in my .243, so I don't need these; they're just collecting dust in the gun cabinet.

You're welcome to this stuff if there's a way to get them to you. I will be in Abilene next Friday afternoon and Saturday (19th and 20th), about 2 hours from there, if you want to do a lunch meetup or something.
-Ruark

Topic author
K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I would like give a big "Thank You" to Ruark for helping me out. We met up earlier today in Abilene and he let me have some .243 at a very reasonable price, and certainly considering the ammo situation right now. It was an excellent thing to do for someone he'd never met.

:woohoo

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

No problemo! As little as you have, though, you're going to have to do some careful sighting in so you won't use it all up! And the 75 gr. Accutip will group differently than the 100 gr. Power Point. If you have a Lead Sled or something simliar to immobilize the gun, maybe you can use the "one shot sighting in" technique.
-Ruark

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”