Looking for a Llama .380 Magazine

Holsters and firearms-related gear and accessories, reloading equipment & supplies, ammo

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 5

Looking for a Llama .380 Magazine

Post by puma guy »

Anybody have a spare Llama .380 7 round magazine? It's probably a Model IIIa that was imported by Stoeger in the latter years of Llama.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Looking for a Llama .380 Magazine

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote:Anybody have a spare Llama .380 7 round magazine? It's probably a Model IIIa that was imported by Stoeger in the latter years of Llama.
If it takes the Colt Gov’t .380 magazine, I’ve got one somewhere. I’d have to look around for it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:Anybody have a spare Llama .380 7 round magazine? It's probably a Model IIIa that was imported by Stoeger in the latter years of Llama.
If it takes the Colt Gov’t .380 magazine, I’ve got one somewhere. I’d have to look around for it.
Pistol is a copy of a 1911 and the model I have has the grip safety added later in the production of the Llama's. I don't know if they interchange. I know they hold 7 rounds and look like a 1911 mag. I'll try to research it.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

Not cheap but here are some for the IIIa .
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufa ... lla?page=2

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pistol is a copy of a 1911 and the model I have has the grip safety added later in the production of the Llama's. I don't know if they interchange. I know they hold 7 rounds and look like a 1911 mag. I'll try to research it.
But is it a copy of the full-sized 1911, or is it a copy of the Gov’t .380, which is smaller and looks a lot like a 1911?

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
But is it a copy of the full-sized 1911, or is it a copy of the Gov’t .380, which is smaller and looks a lot like a 1911?

TAM,
It's a scaled down version roughly 3/4 size I'd say. Hard to tell size from your photo, but it looks just like the Llama.
Edited: I found my daughters sewing measure tape. Overall is about 5-1/4" so it's about 2/3 the size of a 1911.

The Annoyed Man

puma guy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
puma guy wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

TAM,
It's a scaled down version roughly 3/4 size I'd say. Hard to tell size from your photo, but it looks just like the Llama.
Edited: I found my daughters sewing measure tape. Overall is about 5-1/4" so it's about 2/3 the size of a 1911.
PG, that’s about right. The Colt Gov’t is a scaled down gun. As I recall, the barrel length was 3.25”.....not sure about the slide length or the overall length. In any case, it took a 7-round magazine, and as I recall, the Llama pistols in .45 ACP were patterned after 1911s, so it would make sense that the smaller .380 would be “Gov’t-like”. I’m still unpacking from my move, but if I run across that magazine, you’re welcome to it. I have no use for it.

Here’s a YouTube video of what I think you have?
https://youtu.be/kR5lZcltNpU

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

BTW, I have a 90's era Colt Government 380 and we could try my Colt magazines to see if they work in your Llama. I bought a couple spares from Numrich and they were cheaper than the ones I linked fro your pistol earlier.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Colt mags will not fit. The Llama is unique. You can find them used on GB OR eBay, or gunparts. Triple-K has new ones. You can also ask the guys on the Gunboard’s Spanish sub forum. Be sure to get the wide base mags
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ET-Ret »

Please be careful with parts for Llama.There was at least two versions.
The one imported by Stoger has a linked bbl and I do not know if the mags are interchangeable
With a later one whose barrel links like a Browning HP some of a kind of cam action.
I have one of each and can look at the Mags in the morning I have been careful not to take them apart at the same time
never thought to see about the mags.
As fate would decree it Llama had at least 3 starts and a went out of business every time.
I think the relvolver were copy of Smiths and the Semi' were copy of colt or Browning designs.
All of the ones from Stoger were marked on Slide or Frame.
The later one were imported by a firm in NJ I Can look them up as I have the Manuel.
I have 3 of the same looking guns 1 380 marked With Stoger
another 380 from the NJ co I have picts but will have to look them up.
and a 22lr looks very much the same but in rimfire ver.
I have manuels for all 3 I think. I am willing to send copies or give free advice.
Numeric Arms has some parts and there is a co named Bob' gun parts in AZ
A man in central Texas gave me The name of a Canadian Co called Marstar that sell parts.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

For all Lllama 380s made in Spain (until 2005 approx) There are really only 2 380 mags - Early for II and III with narrow base, and Late for IIIA/XA/Especiale/MicroMax with wide base. Your Llama probably has a slide rib, which makes it a Late style or IIIA. It doesn't matter whether it is blowback or locked breach, same mag. It will use the wide base mag.

Triple-K mags run about $40. Stock# 245M
I would consider this a last resort, but if you find a cheap one at a gun show, try it.

OE Llama mags start at $60 on GB.
If it's stamped made in Spain it's OE. Look for a good deal on an OE mag.

Here is a very good (and pricey) example https://tinyurl.com/ybda3r9u
Last edited by Rex B on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Took my Llama .380 to my local gun show today attempting to locate an OEM magazine. I saw several Llama .380's that were the same model as mine. (they use what is known as a wide base magazine.) One vendor had a pistol with three magazines for $600 and was willing to let one of the magazines go for a mere $100. "rlol"
He justified it by saying the magazine was made in Spain. I told him I can find them on GB and Ebay for approx $40-50. I wanted to tell him while there are after market magazines under different names for Llama pistols, ALL "Llama" magazines are made in Spain. I decided not to waste my breath. I would like to be able to try the magazines in the pistol, but I found two online along with a factory box, paperwork and cleaning rod for $100 bucks so I bit the bullet and bought it.

Topic author
puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Rex B wrote:For all Lllama 380s made in Spain (until 2005 approx) There are really only 2 380 mags - Early for II and II with narrow base, and Late for IIIA/XA/Especiale/MicroMax with wide base. Your Llama probably has a slide rib, which makes it a Late style or IIIA. It doesn't matter whether it is blowback or locked breach, same mag. It will use the wide base mag.

Triple-K mags run about $40. Stock# 245M
I would consider this a last resort, but if you find a cheap one at a gun show, try it.

OE Llama mags start at $60 on GB.
If it's stamped made in Spain it's OE. Look for a good deal on an OE mag.

Here is a very good (and pricey) example https://tinyurl.com/ybda3r9u
:thumbs2: Thanks. I didn't see your post before my post today. I think I'm good to go with what I bought on line.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

puma guy wrote: I found two online along with a factory box, paperwork and cleaning rod for $100 bucks so I bit the bullet and bought it.
You did well :cheers2:
-----------

Return to “Holsters, Accessories, Reloading Equipment & Supplies”