The Forum will be down for a software upgrade/migration

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Re: The Forum will be down for a software upgrade/migration

Post by G.A. Heath »

Charles, you will need an extension to re-enable this feature, or modify the templates so they do it. The extension to do this can be found at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

Thanks! Looks nice.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 18

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

G.A. Heath wrote:Charles, you will need an extension to re-enable this feature, or modify the templates so they do it. The extension to do this can be found at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/
I still have some work to do and I'll install that one too.

Thanks,
Chas.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 7

Post by baldeagle »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:Charles, you will need an extension to re-enable this feature, or modify the templates so they do it. The extension to do this can be found at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/elonw/

Thanks,
Chas.
As long as you're still doing work, if there's an extension that makes the Quick Links dropdown on mouseover, that would be greatly appreciated. I suspect that was done for mobile devices, since they can't mouseover things, but media queries can make the site work differently for different screen sizes.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

AndyC wrote:Thank you for the effort - it's really appreciated.

One possible suggestion: I noticed that clicking a link now takes one away from the forum completely and to that other website, instead of just opening another tab automatically for that linked website. Could this be changed?
Andy, I've added the extension to force all links to open in a new tab.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks,
Chas.
As long as you're still doing work, if there's an extension that makes the Quick Links dropdown on mouseover, that would be greatly appreciated. I suspect that was done for mobile devices, since they can't mouseover things, but media queries can make the site work differently for different screen sizes.
I'll see if one's available.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

baldeagle wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks,
Chas.
I installed an extension that is supposed to do what you ask, but it doesn't work. I'll keep looking.

Chas.

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

Charles,

Is it possible for us mobilers to have an option to view the desktop site? I know the mobile version is convenient for most people but I always seek out the desktop version when available on mobile sites.

Thanks!

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Aggie_engr wrote:Charles,

Is it possible for us mobilers to have an option to view the desktop site? I know the mobile version is convenient for most people but I always seek out the desktop version when available on mobile sites.

Thanks!
Sorry, but I don't know what you are asking. I believe this is a responsive template like the newer Joomla/Rockettheme templates.

Chas.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

Thanks!
I do this from my browser on my mobile devices, seems to work in all by chrome. Not sure why but chrome just redraws the mobile version.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Piney »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks!
Sorry, but I don't know what you are asking. I believe this is a responsive template like the newer Joomla/Rockettheme templates.

Chas.
I believe what the OP was referring to is an option to display the "desktop" style version when viewing in a mobile device. Several sites I frequent have similar buttons. They automatically detect the mobile connection and provide a device appropriate display, but sometimes one would like to look at the "usual" desktop version on a mobile device. The sites provide a button (link) so do so

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

Piney wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Thanks!

Chas.
I believe what the OP was referring to is an option to display the "desktop" style version when viewing in a mobile device. Several sites I frequent have similar buttons. They automatically detect the mobile connection and provide a device appropriate display, but sometimes one would like to look at the "usual" desktop version on a mobile device. The sites provide a button (link) so do so
Spot on Piney! Sorry for the confusion Charles, but I would prefer to have the option to view a desktop version on a mobile device as Piney stated.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

WildBill wrote:The page looks different. It only fills about half of the screen, it is centered in the middle.
I've added an extension that should allow Members to change the setting in their User Control Panel to allow full width display on whatever device they are using.

The User Control Panel is under your name in the upper right of the screen. From there, select "Board preferences," then select "Edit display options." Scroll to the bottom of the page and set "Use maximum width" to "yes."

I don't know if this will address the desktop v. mobile version or not.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I installed the other style that was available with the older software, but it was terrible! It rendered very poorly and at least some of the extensions I added did not work with it. Oh well, . . .

Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”