juvenile offense

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Tudor
Posts in topic: 2

juvenile offense

Post by Tudor »

I have a clean adult record, however when I was 16 I received a ticket for curfew, possesion of a concealed weapon, and possesion of an illegal weapon in Colorado. It was a knife under my seat, if that matters. I was given the ticket and went to court. No jail time no probation, just a fine. Would this desqualify me from geting my texas chl? I have a Utah and planing to get my texas next month.thank you for any responses.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: juvenile offense

Post by RoyGBiv »

Might matter how long ago this was...
We can assume you are at least 21 if applying for TX CHL.. so.. at least 5 years ago... but, how long exactly (month and year of conviction/judgment)?

I don't know what class crimes these are in TX... that will determine the time interval required before eligibility is reinstated, or whether eligibility is ever reinstated...
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Tudor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Tudor »

It was almost twenty years ago. Colorado juvenile records I believe become sealed after you turn 18
I was never booked finger printed or arrested just a ticket and paid a fine that was I think 2 or 300 dollars.

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

It doesn't apply in your case, since it was in Colorado, but for purposes of a TX CHL background check, juvenile records can be unsealed, and felony grade convictions can impact your eligibility. The fact that your case was over 20 years ago means that you are clear to proceed.

Good luck.
NRA lifetime member

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Tudor wrote:It was almost twenty years ago. Colorado juvenile records I believe become sealed after you turn 18
I was never booked finger printed or arrested just a ticket and paid a fine that was I think 2 or 300 dollars.
I would check, but those sound like misdemeanor charges that are probably the equivalent of Class B or less in Texas. they were handled like Class C misdemeanors, fine only. I am almost sure that is the status of the curfew violation. The other two were just a LEO running a bluff on you because you were a teenager breaking curfew. I had a similar run in with a Wolf Point, MT LEO in 1970. The Knife was on my belt in a sheath. I didn't bluff. No tickets or other repercussions.

MOST misdemeanor charges will only disqualify you for a Maximum of 5 years. A few are a permanent disqualification. A little research on your specific charges in Colorado and a comparative to Similar Texas charges would probably give you an answer.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If you have never been arrested and only fined, most likely those are class C misdemeanors. If you have never ever been arrested you should be good to go. Go apply!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”