Hyperlinks?

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texanron
Posts in topic: 2

Hyperlinks?

Post by texanron »

I've noticed in various threads folks posting links without having to copy the whole URL into the post. In fact some post it as a hyperlink. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Excaliber

Re: Hyperlinks?

Post by Excaliber »

texanron wrote:I've noticed in various threads folks posting links without having to copy the whole URL into the post. In fact some post it as a hyperlink. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?
Where you want to insert your link, click on the URL tool in the blue band above the message window. This will put a pair of brackets with URL and /URL inside them in the text window.

Click after the L in URL inside the first bracket and insert an = (equal sign) followed by the full URL that would take you to the target site if you typed it into your browser.

Click between the closing bracket after URL and before the opening bracket on /URL. Insert the text you want readers to see in there.

The text will appear in blue and will take readers to your target URL when clicked.

You can dress things up a bit by using the B (for bold) and u (for underline) tools also. If you do this, click URL, then B, then u and insert the text you want readers to see between the brackets of the u (underline) entry and the equal sign and actual URL at the end of the first URL bracket.

Sounds hard - is easy. Here's an example:

Fox News

Just click on the QUOTE box at the lower right of this post as if you were going to reply to see how it looks in the message window.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
texanron

Post by texanron »

Thanks Excaliber! That is exactly the information I was looking for.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

texanron wrote:Thanks Excaliber! That is exactly the information I was looking for.
You're welcome.

The reason for all the brackets and stuff is that those things in brackets are bits of HTML code that tell your browser how and when to display text, when to hide text, and how to react when a link is clicked.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Texas10X
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texas10X »

Easy to follow instructions, Excaliber. Thanks!

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”