Yet Another Tapatalk Request

To keep abreast of site changes, or to post a question, idea or suggestion for the website.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
iShoot
Posts in topic: 1

Yet Another Tapatalk Request

Post by iShoot »

I have really been trying to read this site on my Android phone, but it's a terrible experience.

I have read the other threads on this site about security concerns. Here's the thing... all the other gun sites that are referenced as being hacked via Tapatalk that I frequent still use Tapatalk. It was a simple permission problem that was identified and fixed back in 2010.

I love the site. It's a true gem of information for the Texas CHL holder. I've been lurking for years, but what finally motivated me to register is this issue. I know I am not alone. I sneered at "smart phones" for years. I resisted, but now that I have one... I love it. It's a computer in your pocket that's always connected to the Internet. What's not to love?

I'm in the web business for financial institutions (why I finally broke down and got on the smart phone bandwagon) and I can tell you that phones will be the main way people access the Internet in the near future.

I know I'd pay to get Tapatalk support added and I'd bet others would, too. Or, if there's another similar Android app that you find to be more secure, I'd use that one instead.

Even if you don't add Tapatalk support, I'll keep visiting. But, I sure would visit more often if I could easily access it easily via my Smart phone.

The Mad Moderate

Re: Yet Another Tapatalk Request

Post by The Mad Moderate »

ibtl
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

I too would like to see this revisited. I believe the Tapatalk plugin has stabilized quite a bit over the last year and I'm not aware of any outstanding security issues with it. It's certainly exploded in popularity over the last year. It seems like just about every other forum I visit now on my phone pops up to say it supports it.

Brian
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

apostate

Post by apostate »

If only there was an app that made smart phones smart enough to understand and display html. without server-side changes ;-)

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I do find it difficult to read this forum on my Android phone..
Lots of resizing, rotating the device and scrolling sideways.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mblud

Post by mblud »

+1 on this.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. Samuel Adams

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Tapatalk was looked at awhile back, but there were major security holes in it. From what i am seeing on the Interweb, there are still concerns by many admins out there about it. I also believe it is not an approved Mod for phpBB, so until those issues are cleared up I doubt there will be any chance for implementation.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

Yes, I don't come here as much as I would like because I am on the go and other boards have tapatalk ability. We would probably get more participation if this was an option.

Keith, I know of security concerns but I believe these have been taken care of a while back unless there are new ones.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There are other solutions too. The best is probably using PHP to get the HTTP_HEADER to see if it matches a mobile device, you could even use Java to detect screen size. After that, it you just display a different stylesheet.
Last edited by Thomas on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Have you guys tried using Opera mobile or Opera Mini? I have no problems reading this forum using either Opera. It reformats the page without you needing a microscope to read or having to scroll to read each line. Just set "Single Column View" in Mini or "Mobile View" in Mobile.

Other web browsers, even those with a "Mobile View" option, have issues with this and other sites. Opera works great for this site. :tiphat:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

I will have to try this. Thanks!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I just installed Opera mini on my iPhone and it works great. Thanks for the tip JJVP! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

nobius

Post by nobius »

Any chance of revisiting this topic? I'm sure Tapatalk on the server side has improved in the past year.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nobius wrote:Any chance of revisiting this topic? I'm sure Tapatalk on the server side has improved in the past year.
Sorry, but no chance at all.

Chas.

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions”